Getting stuck on solids on death

Having trouble compiling code? Getting an unexpected error? Player not appearing on screen? Seeking answers on how to do a particular thing? This is the forum you're looking for, to ask other NESmaker users for assistance.
Cobalt24

Getting stuck on solids on death

Post by Cobalt24 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Hey, I'm having a bug where if the player either hits the bottom of a solid or the top of a semisolid after the bounce death animation starts to play, they get stuck in place and softlock the game. Is there any fix for this? It probably has nothing to do with this but I'm using WolfMerrik's RAD Jump: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=840
dale_coop

Re: Getting stuck on solids on death

Post by dale_coop » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Your death animation should be set to ignore solid: in your Effect0 object, for your action step 0, set the "ignore collision".
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Cobalt24

Post by Cobalt24 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:23 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm
Your death animation should be set to ignore solid: in your Effect0 object, for your action step 0, set the "ignore collision".
On action step 0, No Player Collision does nothing, and Ignore Solids just makes me sink through everything as soon as I spawn.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Have you set the "Effect 0" object (not the "player" object) ? (this object is the player death effect/animation used in the platform module)

In the tutorial video here (at 45:46):
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 pm

I don't really know if the rad jump affects things and how, as i've not gone through the code to see what it does.

I had this issue myself too though, where i kept going inside solid objects and being stuck in death animation during death (no softlocks though.)
turned out my issue was that i did not give a bounding box for my death object, doing that fixed everything with it (im using collision with my death object to look like the player just collapses to the ground.)
Croque_Monsieur

Post by Croque_Monsieur » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm

What if I want my player to die and stay in place? The bouncing thing is messing up the game.
Mugi

Post by Mugi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:53 pm

disable gravity from the death object, which will simply make it unable to move at all.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm

And for your Action Step 0, set the End of Animation (or end of action with a small timer) to "RestartGame".
-----