Colors for Start Screen and Importing from Nes Screen Tool

SeaFoodAndButter

How many colors total are possible on the start screen? On a regular screen you have four palettes to use for graphic assets. They all share the first color and then have 3 other colors each = 13 colors. Does this mean your start and wins screens can use 13 colors? The NES MAKER start screen looks like it uses about that many.

And, in Shiru's NES Screen Tool I have a completed 128x128 tileset to use as my start screen. What is the best way to import it into NESMaker? Will I have to put all the tiles back together?

Also, is it possible to make a 128x128 graphic in PAINT, save it as BMP, and open it in NESMaker to use as a start/win screen?

TheGeek

Once you have a screen built, export it as a .NAM or a .MAP file. Then, go to NESMaker, and select the Start screen or the Win screen. From there, you will see a "Special Screens" menu option at the top that support importing and exporting those files. Hope this helps!

As to your question, Yes! you can use all those colors, but within a single tile, you are limited to only 1 sub palette.

Thanks!
--Josh

SeaFoodAndButter

TheGeek said:
Once you have a screen built, export it as a .NAM or a .MAP file. Then, go to NESMaker, and select the Start screen or the Win screen. From there, you will see a "Special Screens" menu option at the top that support importing and exporting those files. Hope this helps!

As to your question, Yes! you can use all those colors, but within a single tile, you are limited to only 1 sub palette.

Thanks!
--Josh

Thank you sooo MUCH! So, after you explained the start screen palette scheme I totally understand how to get 13 different colors now! After you explained it, it makes total sense. THANK YOU!

The one issue I am having though is importing my NAM file. When I do, it is messed up for some reason. The 1 thing I could get to work is to export my NES Screen "tileset" to BMP. Then go to the NESMaker pixel editor and open the bmp tileset image. After that, I clicked on "save as" and navigated to my graphics folder and saved it over the "start screen" tile set. Then, when I went to the "special screens" and "start screen" options, I saw the tileset. The only pain is that I have to put the pieces back together now! But I finally figured out that the arrow keys on my keyboard can control the box on the left (the actual start screen) and my mouse can control the screen on my right (my tileset), this makes it a lot easier to put my tileset back together!

Thank you so much! I finally got my start screen with music up and running.

Top Bottom