Wrong colors in Win Screen

Having trouble compiling code? Getting an unexpected error? Player not appearing on screen? Seeking answers on how to do a particular thing? This is the forum you're looking for, to ask other NESmaker users for assistance.
mystemo

Wrong colors in Win Screen

Post by mystemo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 am

I'm having some trouble with the win screen in a game I'm making.
I've created the scene and set up the palettes the way I want it to look in the Editor. But when I run the game in the emulator the colors get messed up.
Is this because of something I've done wrong or is it a problem with NES Maker?

dale_coop

Re: Wrong colors in Win Screen

Post by dale_coop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:03 am

It's the fun of NES dev... all the emulators and all the different hardwares render differently the NES colours. Because every system implements its own NES palette.
If you use the original NES, or the mini classic, or the NT Mini, or fceux, or mesen, ... you will never have the same colours.
I think there is a topic somewhere in this forum, with screenshots of the same game in differents systems. It' s funny to see sometimes blue becomes purple on certain system (or red almost pink)...

It IS normal, it's not a bug.
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am

But black shouldn't become yellow and it should change consistently and not half of the pixels stays black and the other half turns yellow.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 am

Hwo did you make your screen? importing a CHR file?
Sometimes it has strange results... I would suggest you reassign the right palette to the tiles that look off.
(using the "Q", "W", "E" and "R" shorcuts to re-paint/re-assign respectively the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th palette on your screen tiles)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
mystemo

Post by mystemo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm

I made it in NES Maker's pixel editor.
I'll try your tips when I get back home. Thanks!
chronosv2

Post by chronosv2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm

The problem with just using the pixel tool for your screens is that it doesn't take into account the attribute table and palette limitations. I think, judging by your weirdly colored silhouettes, that you're running into palette table clashes.
Each 16x16 pixel block on the NES Screen has to use the same palette for background objects, so if you're off that grid things are going to be weirdly colored.

I actually recommend using NES Screen Tool to make your screens for now. There's a video on doing it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2DAFi2-cxI
mystemo

Post by mystemo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Yeah, I suspected that it might have something to do with the paIette limitations. I "fixed" the problem by making the scene greyscale instead. Not a perfect solution but it worked out pretty well :lol:
chronosv2

Post by chronosv2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 pm

That part of the program will get ironed out eventually!
That's why NESMaker is still a work in progress. :D