Needing help with sound files, projectiles, and moving from screen to screen in the underground area.

DanielT1985

(I posted this in 2 different places in this forum, and I finally found the right section to put this in. I'm sorry if this is getting annoying.)

So me and my friends are working on a game that has quite a big soundtrack. Problem is, there were a lot of instruments that were duplicates in the Platformula music and sfx file. My friend later deleted all of the duplicates and kept the ones we used, and... no matter what we tried, no matter how much modding we tried doing, all it ended up was a box that says,"An error occured while importing Sounds. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: s"

Another thing is that we tried to add a whip-styled weapon for the character, but we can't seem to find a way to make said weapon work in the Platform Module.

And finally, when I tried to use the underground area, when I move to another screen, it just takes me back to the overworld area, and I don't know why.

PortableAnswers

The only way, as of yet, that I've gotten my Famitracker songs "working" in NESmaker is to start songs from scratch (i.e File>New), then ensure that each instrument volume is checked in the instrument profile. Last, I don't use any effects. The song plays in the game but when I move my player to a new screen in the Overworld, Pulse 2 just disappears. It's better than nothing but I look forward to using my non-stripped down songs.

CutterCross

As for the music I'd recommend creating your instruments from scratch to better optimize your songs. Make sure they all at least have a volume envelope and a duty envelope, and make sure you DON'T use Hi-Pitch envelopes.

If you're creating a large soundtrack keep in mind that you only have so much space to work with. If you overflow the music bank with too much data you will get an import error. (I believe there's a hard-coded 16 song limit in NESmaker? Don't know whether that's changed or not.)

Also remember that you have to limit each of your songs to a length of 09 ORDER if your songs use 64 rows per frame. (If your rows-per-frame is greater than 64, you may have to limit the length of your songs even more.) You will get import errors otherwise.

Also make sure that the filename of your exported .txt file does not contain any spaces or other weird characters. Same with the title of your individual songs and sfx.

PortableAnswers

CutterCross said:
Also remember that you have to limit each of your songs to a length of 09 ORDER if your songs use 64 rows per frame.
Hello, would you be able to elaborate on this? Not quite sure I understand.

CutterCross

PortableAnswers said:
Hello, would you be able to elaborate on this? Not quite sure I understand.
Basically each of your songs have a limit on how long they can be. For NESmaker, you can have up to 10 frames of music data for each song (09 in hexadecimal). Any longer than that and you'll get errors when importing your music .txt file.

mfqWOHE.png

This is assuming your songs stick with the default settings of 64 rows-per-frame or less. If your settings are, say, 128 rows-per-frame, I believe the new limit becomes 5 frames of music data per song (04 in hexadecimal). Haven't tested that out myself, but I heard that from some others on the forum.

Bottom line: You only have so much space to work with when making music, so try to optimize it as best as you can!

Top Bottom