Game crashes when player projectile hits enemy monster [SOLVED]

PortableAnswers

I do not recall changing anything related to projectiles or the monsters recently. I have lately only been messing around with getting my FamiTracker songs into the game. Now, when I shoot an enemy, the game just closes.

dale_coop

Staff member
Strange...
Did you try to replace the songs, important again the betaAssets music to see if you still have the problem?

PortableAnswers

Yes, I tried that but I am still having the same issue. I also just noticed that if an enemy touches me then the game freezes or crashes.

CutterCross

PortableAnswers said:
Yes, I tried that but I am still having the same issue. I also just noticed that if an enemy touches me then the game freezes or crashes.

That's most likely because the game is trying to load a sound effect that doesn't exist. Some of the ASM code uses a different format for playing sound effects, as they weren't updated for NESmaker 4.0.11.

Try going into the HandlePlayerHurt.asm script and comment out line 54. See if that helps.

PortableAnswers

That seems to have fixed it! I tried reloading the BETA assets one more time and then sound worked when I would shoot at enemies (which was my original problem) but it did not fix the player hurt sound. I commented it out like you suggested. I will worry about SFX later on when I get more level design done.

I do have one other question regarding songs. I have been using FamiTracker. I can import a song's text file into NESmaker and it plays fine when I start to play my game. However, when I walk my player to a new screen, it drops Pulse 2 from the song.

CutterCross

PortableAnswers said:
That seems to have fixed it! I tried reloading the BETA assets one more and then sound worked when I would shoot at enemies (which was my original problem) but it did not fix the player hurt sound. I commented it out like you suggested. I will worry about SFX later on when I get more level design done.

I do have one other question regarding songs. I have been using FamiTracker. I can import a song's text file into NESmaker and it plays fine when I start to play my game. However, when I walk my player to a new screen, it drops Pulse 2 from the song.

That's just a problem with this version of the tool. Everyone's having that issue, including me. I talked to Joe about it and he said it should be fixed in the next version update.

Top Bottom