Screen wrapping

abstractlion

I'm trying to make an arcade styled minigame and I want to make the player wrap the screen so when he gos through one end of the wall he comes through the other side . If anyone has any scripts or any info Itll be much appreciated , thank you

jorotroid

It's probably less about adding scripts and more about removing them. You could try making your own Handle bounds script that basically does nothing for when the player goes over horizontally (because the screen width uses the full 256 values of a byte), and I think you would have to make any object that goes too far down to jump ahead so that it loops over (because the screen height only goes for 0 to 224).

PortableAnswers

abstractlion said:
I'm trying to make an arcade styled minigame and I want to make the player wrap the screen so when he gos through one end of the wall he comes through the other side . If anyone has any scripts or any info Itll be much appreciated , thank you

Any luck yet?

I see that this is an old thread, but seems like it was never quite solved. I'm attempting to do the same thing with screen wrapping the player character, but still wrapping my head around things in general.

TurtleRescueNES

damiantwinter said:
I see that this is an old thread, but seems like it was never quite solved. I'm attempting to do the same thing with screen wrapping the player character, but still wrapping my head around things in general.

If you have a maze or adventure type game, this is very easy. The characters will do this automatically without any bounds or edge reaction scripts in place.

The only thing that is tricky is if you are trying to wrap vertically and have a HUD. If your hero leave the screen on the bottom, it will appear in the HUD area.

What problems are you having with your setup where this isn't working?

jsherman said:
damiantwinter said:

If you have a maze or adventure type game, this is very easy. The characters will do this automatically without any bounds or edge reaction scripts in place.

The only thing that is tricky is if you are trying to wrap vertically and have a HUD. If your hero leave the screen on the bottom, it will appear in the HUD area.

Hi, jsherman. I have been trying to do this screen wrap in a single room maze game, actually. It happens automatically with no bounds or edge restrictions? So, I'd just be setting bounds handling to a blank script in that case? NESMaker version 4.1.5, fyi.

TurtleRescueNES

damiantwinter said:
jsherman said:
damiantwinter said:

Hi, jsherman. I have been trying to do this screen wrap in a single room maze game, actually. It happens automatically with no bounds or edge restrictions? So, I'd just be setting bounds handling to a blank script in that case? NESMaker version 4.1.5, fyi.

That is correct. I am doing exactly that with my Turtle Party game, which is also in 4.1.5.

jsherman said:
damiantwinter said:
jsherman said:

That is correct. I am doing exactly that with my Turtle Party game, which is also in 4.1.5.
Wow. Thanks so much. I'll give that a try. I played the demo of Turtle Party just yesterday and Turtle Rescue last year. You're very skilled and the games both look great, especially Party. It just pops.

I've tried with both the maze and adventure .MODs, setting handling bounds( top, bottom, left, right) to BlankScript and set Edge Object Reaction to Null for the Player, but the Player still stops at the edges of the Playable Area rather than wrapping to the opposite side. I'm a bit confused on what I missed in that case.

Thanks so much. It works right off the bat when starting a new project with the base tutorial MOD. Not so sure what I was doing wrong before. Probably not following the tutorials closely enough. Learned my lesson. Have a great night :)

mouse spirit said:
What about in the Huds & boxes of the nesmaker UI? Is the playable area conflicting?

It may have been that. I essentially started over and followed a newer tutorial. I probably missed some detail that was mentioned. I didn't figure out what the problem was, but it's all good now. Thanks again

TurtleRescueNES

That's not what I'd expect as that's what I did. One other thing to try: clear your playable area in the HUD & Boxes section. Just click the Set button under Playable area to clear it out and see what that does. ---edit - OOPS didn't see that it was resolved.

jsherman said:
That's not what I'd expect as that's what I did. One other thing to try: clear your playable area in the HUD & Boxes section. Just click the Set button under Playable area to clear it out and see what that does. ---edit - OOPS didn't see that it was resolved.

Thanks for checking back. Yes, the screen wrapping is working fine for me. :)

Top Bottom