More text groups?

tapwater

Hello!
I am running into some troubles trying to figure out how to trigger more text groups. I'm using version 4.0.6 and I can see that in the text group options under monster placement detains, though unable to change them.
I have text group 0 with every text group used and was hoping to make certain NPCs use other text groups i have created.
I may be overlooking it but I haven't been able to find how to add my other text groups.

Thank you in advanced for the help!

chronosv2

If I'm understanding correctly, you're seeing "Text 0" in each of the Monster placement boxes. The reason is you haven't actually set up the text groups to select which text options each will use.

In the hierarchy on the left, below Text is the "Text Groups" option, which is where you'll set up which text boxes each screen uses.
Each screen gets 1 group, and each group gets 4 text entries.
Each text entry in a group corresponds to an NPC in Monster Placement.
The Monster/NPC in slot 1 gets the first entry, slot 2 gets the second entry, slot 3 gets the third and slot 4 gets the fourth.

tapwater

Ahh I see now, thank you so much for clarification!
I missed the section in screen info under the "NPC Day Group Index". I was using "text group" as a key word to search for.
Sorry for the silly question.
You're the best thank you again!

Dirk

tapwater said:
Sorry for the silly question.

Not silly at all. Others might have the same problem and find this thread useful. Not me though, I never make mistsakes.

hairycarrot

I assigned the text trigger to a tile type.
The Monster/NPC in slot 1 gets the first entry, slot 2 gets the second entry, slot 3 gets the third and slot 4 gets the fourth.
Does that mean I made it so I can't use more than one text group on screens where I use that tile type?

chronosv2

hairycarrot said:
I assigned the text trigger to a tile type.
Does that mean I made it so I can't use more than one text group on screens where I use that tile type?

I'm not quite sure I follow.
You get One Text Group per screen. The autotext tile can only use slot 1 unless you edit the ASM.
You can have different text groups for day, day triggered, night and night triggered. (Day and Day Triggered for now)
You get 4 text entries per text group
You get 512 text entries in your game
Each text entry can be 255 characters long.

And this wasn't a silly question at all! If nobody asks questions, nobody learns. Curiosity and inquisitiveness are the keys to learning.

hairycarrot

I see I worded that very strangely.
That's exactly what I was asking - that on a screen where I use the tile type to call text, I would only ever get the first text entry in the group.
So I think this would also mean if I mixed tiles and NPCs, entry 1 would get called by both the NPC and the tile.

I forgot - thank you for that explanation about the entries corresponding to the NPCs. #lightbulb

dale_coop

Staff member
The "Autotext Tile" is set to use the #$01 textBoxFlag (correct me if I remember it wrongly)... it means it ill use the 2nd text of the text group assigned to your screen.
It means if you set "Some text 0", "Some text 1", "Some text 2" and "Some text 3" respectivly in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th element in your Text Group, don't use any NPC as a "Monster 2" (when placing them on the right click). Use "Monster 1", "Monster 3" and "Monster 4".

So you can have NPCs and an Autotext tile on the same screen, using different texts.

hairycarrot

That's interesting. I will have to look at what I did because I don't think I used the posts about autotext tiles when I set it up. I think I used the npc code and added it to a text tile.

When I figure it out I will comment it in my code.

Top Bottom