Screen Edges warps from Underworld to Overworld

jorotroid

I have a solution to this already, but because the problem confuses me (especially if no one else has had this problem), I thought I would post it here to see if anyone had any insight.

So in the Platformer module, when ever I move the player to the edge of an screen while in the Underworld instead of going to the next screen in the Underworld the player will go to the corresponding screen in the Overworld. I did not have this issue with the Adventure module, so I looked to see what was different in the bounds scripts. I found in the sections for updateScreenRight, updateScreenLeft, updateScreenBottom, and updateScreenTop there were these to lines of code in the Platformer module, but not the Adventure module

Code:
LDA #%00000001
STA update_screen_details ;; load from map 1

Commenting these lines out solves the problem, but I am left to wonder if there was something that I wasn't doing correctly with the Platformer module. Any one have any thoughts?

dale_coop

Staff member
I think nobody here played with the underworld in the platformer module, yet. So you might be the first one to digg in ;) But this issue doesn't surprise me. There are some issues with the update screens and screen loads currently, and we also know there are some issue with warps in underworld/overworld.
I don't know why those lines were hard coded like that... quite strange. Might be here for fix another problem somewhere else? Or it was for testing and Joe forgot to remove those lines...?

Anyway, thanks for your help on that, jorotroid.

jorotroid

The vibe I got from the code was that maybe it was in preparation for making it so the next screen doesn't have to be "physically" next to the previous screen. So like a scrolling platformer could have a level that is 16 screens wide without having to do a blackout. But that's just a guess.

Thanks for responding. With how much deep diving I've been doing in the code, I generally tend to feel it's my fault when things break.

Top Bottom