NES Maker 4.0.11 Adventure Tutorial Collision issue and a few other issues

grhmhome

Hello. My name is grhmhome. I followed most of the Adventure tutorial and have a few issues that I would like some help with.

Edit: Death is working again and the hud tiles are displaying correctly

The issue is that when I selected the adventure sound files and run the game, the only 2 songs that will play ingame are the songs titled, 'OffWeGo' and 'RomanAbout'. I can play all the songs in the editor, but the track 'TragedE' will not play in game. For some reason, even though I have the songs selected for each map, sometimes they will switch to a random song instead of 'TragedE'. Edit: Also, if I get hurt from a enemy, I'll get random noise that loops, but I assume that is due to maybe a sound file not playing in game properly. I don't know.

The other issue is that the magic projectile can destroy the breakable wall, but only around the top and right side. If I fire a magic projectile at the bottom or left side, they will not break.

NES Maker Version: 4.0.11
Emulator: Fceux 2.2.3

I can provide additional details if needed. Here is a video of what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwoPi0oqCw

I may of forgot something in the tutorial and that could be the reason why I'm experiencing these bugs, but I've looked back and couldn't find anything related to the weapons not showing up in the hud.

Thanks for your time and for creating a awesome tool so I can live my dreams.

chronosv2

The HUD icons problem is actually caused because in 4.0.11, for some reason, the Adventure_PreDraw.asm file the code to draw them is missing.

Here was the code that was used in that file -- you'll need to put it back in.
Code:
LDA weaponsUnlocked
AND #%00000001
BEQ skipDrawingSwordInHud
DrawSprite #$74, #$14, #$2C, #%00000001, spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
skipDrawingSwordInHud:

LDA weaponsUnlocked
AND #%00000010
BEQ skipDrawingItemInHud
DrawSprite #$8C, #$14, #$29, #%00000001, spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
	INC spriteOffset
skipDrawingItemInHud:

I'm not sure about the freezing or sound issues, so I'll leave those to people with a little more experience working with those.

grhmhome

Thanks for the help. I’ll add that code and give it a test.

Edit: I do not know why, but somehow adding that code fixed my death freezing bug. Sweet.

hudfix.png

The only 2 issues I'm experiencing now are just the breakable block being partially breakable and some music and sound not playing correctly.

dale_coop

Staff member
grhmhome said:
The only 2 issues I'm experiencing now are just the breakable block being partially breakable and some music and sound not playing correctly.

For your sound issues, have you tried this: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=7638#p7638

grhmhome

Thanks for posting that. It helped, where now the background music will play correctly.

dale_coop said:
For your sound issues, have you tried this: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=7638#p7638

I got my music to play after modifying the asm files after making backup copies, but when I get attacked by an enemy, I'll get sound that continually plays in a loop. Also, I found that if I don't have a weapon and get attacked by an enemy, the game will freeze. Also, if I get attacked while having weapons, my the game will freeze if I fire a magic projectile.

Edit: The game freezing when the music loops still happens, but I don't know if it happens due to the magic projectile or from something else. I'll post another video. Thanks for your time.

Dirk

grhmhome said:
Also, I found that if I don't have a weapon and get attacked by an enemy, the game will freeze.

This happens to me too from time to time. Jumping on an enemy sometimes freezes the game. I wrote Joe an email about this, but I think a posting on facebook would be good too. I'll make when I have time.

grhmhome

Dirk said:
This happens to me too from time to time. Jumping on an enemy sometimes freezes the game. I wrote Joe an email about this, but I think a posting on facebook would be good too. I'll make when I have time.

I found that editing the asm files shown in http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=7638#p7638 fixes this issue, or it at least doesn't freeze automatically anymore.

Edit: Here is a video showing that the background music plays properly now and the other possible bugs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1FR6a-OIys

Edit again: I found that bumping into an enemy will still cause the game to freeze, but it happens randomly instead of all the time.

Dirk

I edited my files, but it still keeps happening.
It doesn't happen when I jump on enemies that can't be killed by jumping on them.
I should test my game stopping monster without "jump on kills". The only problem is testing might take a while, because it's a random bug.

Oh, I should mention I use the platform module. I suppose there is no "jump on kills" function in the adventure module?

CutterCross

Dirk said:
I edited my files, but it still keeps happening.
It doesn't happen when I jump on enemies that can't be killed by jumping on them.
I should test my game stopping monster without "jump on kills". The only problem is testing might take a while, because it's a random bug.

I'm taking a wild guess here, but your issue MIGHT be that when you kill an enemy, it's dropping a powerup you haven't set up yet, and when your player collides with that powerup the game doesn't know what to do, so it locks up. Either that OR it's another issue with the PlaySound command for loading sound effects not being updated for the new SFX hierarchy in 4.0.11 in certain scripts, which can also cause this issue.

Dirk

I haven't set up a power up. I hope that's the reason.
Hmm, but I guess it would happen all the time then.

grhmhome

CutterCross said:
I'm taking a wild guess here, but your issue MIGHT be that when you kill an enemy, it's dropping a powerup you haven't set up yet, and when your player collides with that powerup the game doesn't know what to do, so it locks up. Either that OR it's another issue with the PlaySound command for loading sound effects not being updated for the new SFX hierarchy in 4.0.11 in certain scripts, which can also cause this issue.

I think my issue could be related to some of the sound effects not updating properly. I don't know. The background music plays correctly, but the hurt sound effect doesn't play, but instead I get random noise. I wonder if the game is crashing due to that and it not knowing which sound to play.

Dirk

CutterCross said:

How do I setup a powerup? For test purposes I added a graphic to "Health Pickup", "Currency Pickup" and "Effect 1" (which I assume is the "poof" effect when a monster dies, because it was labeled that way in one tutorial video). In object details I checked "pickup/power up" except for "Effect 1" where I didn't change anything.
The game still freezes.

Could someone please also tell me if I'm missing a sfx label?

sfx_labels.png

Top Bottom