What's this all about?

I have many music in my game and it goes like this....wish I can use two banks to split the files into one some goes in like bank 1A or Bank 00.

Routines\System\AssignBanks.asm(148): Value out of range. --- the problem i wish I can increase the limit of music you can add into the game by switching banks if needed.

CutterCross

The easiest solution is to cut back on the amount of music you have in your game. You definitely don't have unlimited space for this sort of stuff. I had to deal with this same issue late in development for The Tower of Turmoil OST.

CutterCross said:
The easiest solution is to cut back on the amount of music you have in your game. You definitely don't have unlimited space for this sort of stuff. I had to deal with this same issue late in development for The Tower of Turmoil OST.

This game is the Sonic CD style of Past and Future so the past is required, I also wishto use the unused banks to store the music but I've tried everything and get the label already defined error

CutterCross said:
You may need to rethink the scope of your game if you're still running into problems, music or otherwise.
if using banks 18,19,and 1A could solve this then I'm good I don't feel I should split the game into a cliffhanger nor just save the future is fun those banks should be my key to get all music in.

Scythe&GenGames said:
CutterCross said:
You may need to rethink the scope of your game if you're still running into problems, music or otherwise.
if using banks 18,19,and 1A could solve this then I'm good I don't feel I should split the game into a cliffhanger nor just save the future is fun those banks should be my key to get all music in.

Maybe split the game into several games, it's not ideal but it's what I may end up doing.

dale_coop

Staff member
Agree with CutterCross and Redherring32, you'd need to rethink the scope of your game... Make a smaller game (or several small games, like episodes ;))
You will never be able to make a huge game with NESMaker. The tool is not made for that, it will always be too restrictive.

But maybe we will have more space in the future versions, you could put almost all the songs you would like ;)

jorotroid

A label already defined error means that you added something that has the same name as something else that already exists elsewhere in the code.

Using multiple banks to store music sounds potentially like a bottomless pit problems getting it to play nice with NESmaker. I know only a little bit of how the sound engine works currently, but I suspect that even if you got bank switch music to work in engine, every time you wanted to revise and import your tracks you would have to first import the ones for the second bank, probably export to generate the asm files, go into the code, cut the generated code out of the first bank where it defaults to and paste it into the second bank, and lastly import the music for the first bank. Then you would have to deal with NESmaker only having references to the music in the first bank when assigning music to screens. You would have to go into the code every time you export your game and manually adjust what song from the second bank each screen is playing.

If this still sounds like something you want to do, the first thing I would try to figure out is how does a track get loaded. Then I would want to know if it looks like a bank switch can happen there. And lastly I would want to know if the sound data and the ggsound engine can exist on different banks. If they can't then you might need to have a copy of ggsound in each bank and somehow tell the game engine which ggsound it should be playing when it handles music.

I don't know, if it was me who wanted to do these kind of changes in the current version of NESmaker and the complexity of the music was like the most important aspect to the game, I would probably look towards making this game for a more modern engine instead of the NES at that point.

CutterCross

Think of it this way, I was only able to import 12 songs for The Tower of Turmoil, and only 3 of them actually hit the 10 frame limit. The rest were around 4-6 frames long, a couple were just 2 frames long, and 1 didn't really contain any music at all, it was for silence.

The important thing here is that I knew how to optimize my music for NESmaker, and that I was okay with having to cut/rearrange stuff if I had to. (Which I did!)

It seems to me like you're going into NESmaker with the wrong idea of how game development works. You don't start with a huge idea and try to cram it all into a system you don't know much about. You learn what the system can do and design AROUND its limitations, learning what you CAN do with it and piecing together your game ideas as you go along.

My advice: Start off your first game with a much smaller scope. Save your big ideas for when you're actually comfortable with how NESmaker works.

CutterCross said:
Think of it this way, I was only able to import 12 songs for The Tower of Turmoil, and only 3 of them actually hit the 10 frame limit. The rest were around 4-6 frames long, a couple were just 2 frames long, and 1 didn't really contain any music at all, it was for silence.

The important thing here is that I knew how to optimize my music for NESmaker, and that I was okay with having to cut/rearrange stuff if I had to. (Which I did!)

It seems to me like you're going into NESmaker with the wrong idea of how game development works. You don't start with a huge idea and try to cram it all into a system you don't know much about. You learn what the system can do and design AROUND its limitations, learning what you CAN do with it and piecing together your game ideas as you go along.

My advice: Start off your first game with a much smaller scope. Save your big ideas for when you're actually comfortable with how NESmaker works.

I completely agree with this, I had planned on making an adventure game of a character I had created in the past, but after getting Nesmaker, I quickly realized that it wasn't possible.

As most of you have probably seen, the game I'm working on right now is pretty d*** barebones, and I've found it both an educational experience, and beyond enjoyable.

If you still have ambitions of creating a massive game, there is a DS GameMaker coming out soon. (May still be kinda far off though.)

Top Bottom