Loading Tileset01

Cobalt24

Hey, I'm trying to use tileset01 in my game and whenever I launch the game using it, the entire screen with the acception of a few messed up textures and my character are black. The game works fine on tileset00 and all the collision is loaded. Help?

dale_coop

Staff member
When you use tileset00 it was working well?
How is HUD? Have you set the "HD Area": 2 rows min (and 2 cols min) and the rest for the Playable Area... ?

Cobalt24

dale_coop said:
When you use tileset00 it was working well?
How is HUD? Have you set the "HD Area": 2 rows min (and 2 cols min) and the rest for the Playable Area... ?

My HUD is sized correctly and all, yes it works with tileset00.

cargo

spam bots yandex
I don't mean sound condescending but in order to cover all bases I have to ask:

+ Is your image file at the right location? You might be editing the wrong assets folder.
+ Are you editing the default assets? Maybe you forgot to choose the option (when cliking "File->New") that creates a new set:

helping001.jpg

In this case it would create a fresh set at the folder "MyAwesomeGame" at "<your nesmaker install path>\GraphicAssets\".

+ Tileset01 corresponds with BckCHR_01.bmp. If you got a different filename then either rename that or use the tileset it corresponds to.
+ Can you see Tileset01 at the dropdown list on the screen editor? If the "Main Tiles" dropdown list at your screen editor starts with a higher number then your screen is set to a different bank. At the top-left corner of the editor you should see which graphics bank is assigned to the screen.

helping003.jpg

+ Deleting the screen and starting again (with the bank dropdown list at the overworld map set to "Bank 1" will get your screen to access Tileset01.

helping002.jpg

Cobalt24

cargo said:
I don't mean sound condescending but in order to cover all bases I have to ask:

+ Is your image file at the right location? You might be editing the wrong assets folder.
+ Are you editing the default assets? Maybe you forgot to choose the option (when cliking "File->New") that creates a new set:

helping001.jpg

In this case it would create a fresh set at the folder "MyAwesomeGame" at "<your nesmaker install path>\GraphicAssets\".

+ Tileset01 corresponds with BckCHR_01.bmp. If you got a different filename then either rename that or use the tileset it corresponds to.
+ Can you see Tileset01 at the dropdown list on the screen editor? If the "Main Tiles" dropdown list at your screen editor starts with a higher number then your screen is set to a different bank. At the top-left corner of the editor you should see which graphics bank is assigned to the screen.

helping003.jpg

+ Deleting the screen and starting again (with the bank dropdown list at the overworld map set to "Bank 1" will get your screen to access Tileset01.

helping002.jpg

Thanks for the help, but all this checks out. Image files in the right spot, named BckCHR_01.bmp, in the correct bank... super weird.

dale_coop

Staff member
Your "BckCHR_01.bmp" has the correct size (128x48px)? You created (modified/saved) it in the Pixel Editor?
Else, check again, everything, stp by step like cargo wrote.

Cobalt24

dale_coop said:
Your "BckCHR_01.bmp" has the correct size (128x48px)? You created (modified/saved) it in the Pixel Editor?
Else, check again, everything, stp by step like cargo wrote.

its completely unedited outside of the pixel editor so yes its 128x48. I checked over everything cargo wrote several times. The screen is mostly black except for a few green tiles. My entire BckCHR_01.bmp file is full so it shouldnt be anything with the size.

cargo

spam bots yandex
Can you show us an example of what you're seeing? I.e. A picture of your screen on the screen editor and another of the same screen running in your emulator.

Cobalt24

cargo said:
Can you show us an example of what you're seeing? I.e. A picture of your screen on the screen editor and another of the same screen running in your emulator.

Files won't upload. I'll try using something like imgur.

Cobalt24

cargo said:

Inside the editor: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x1ZxgR35792QGTl5JE__q9cAQNNMc2ix/view?usp=sharing

Inside the emulator: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EKPVlarL6khj__DcV5UTQBuU4s-BASI6/view?usp=sharing

dale_coop

Staff member
Strange...
Is your screen X=0,Y=0 ? I heard some people had weird issues with screens in the first row / col, in some previous versions (and I don't know if it's fixed).
Try to remake it in another screen location, to see if that works better.

dale_coop

Staff member
Because this kind of result is usually:
- your HUD areas are not correct: 2 rows min and 2 cols min for the "HUD Area"... AND you need to set a "Playable Area": commonly the rest of your screen.
- the dimensions of your tileset are not correct: should be 128x48

dale_coop

Staff member
I have no more ideas... I tried on my project (making graphics assets with the tileset01 and using them in a screen), it works fine.
Have you tried to remake your screen in another screen location (X,Y), to see if that works better?

cargo

spam bots yandex
Go nuclear. Delete the screen on the over/under map by right clicking on it and selecting 'delete' from the context menu that pops up. Make sure "Bank 1" is selected on that dropdown list I mentioned before. Then double click on a map square and start again.

dale_coop

Staff member
cargo said:
Go nuclear. Delete the screen on the over/under map by right clicking on it and selecting 'delete' from the context menu that pops up. Make sure "Bank 1" is selected on that dropdown list I mentioned before. Then double click on a map square and start again.

Agree ;)

Also, does it do it with tileset 02 as well, or just 01?
If only 01, verify that there is actually a bitmap for it in your graphics assets folder.

Cobalt24

cargo said:

Worked, my poor screen is dead. Thanks for the help <3

Top Bottom