any chance to get a changelog of sorts ?

Mugi

4.1.0 seems to do a lot of things that quite simply are not mentioned anywhere, and it will be a huge pain in the ass to attempt and dig this out manually.

like... for instance, i imported my player object, which has 7 different states of being done, and after setting up basic inputs (walk, jump, idle) my char now changes to state 5 (hurt) and slides to the left by pressing down.
this is not configured on inputs, and i have no idea where to even look for what and where this is hardcoded on or what for.

some kind of basic readme of what was hardcoded, to where, and mostly, why (so that we know what should or should not be touched, to not break function X or Y) would be extremely useful.

dale_coop

Staff member
I think all the tutorials released today (and the one that comes soon) will explain all that.

dale_coop

Staff member
But I think you should check again all your inputs... if you are using the new simple platform module, I think the down press/hold should not be hardcoded (maybe you assigned a wrong script?)
When you say your state 5 you mean the "Action Step 4" or you mean the "action step 5"? (action step starts from "0")

Mugi

i mean action state 5 (so the 6th one since they start from 0) i did watch all the vids linked on the release announcement and dont recall seeing anything about that, though i'll check again.

at any rate, the new input scripts from the platformer folder are a complete mess, they're gigantic, they do tons and tons of redundant checks, and on top of that, they again break all the animations (try holding left or right while jumping) you cant return to walking animation without letting go of the button, and iv'e been fighting with this for 2 hours now because i have no idea why it does that now, since the scripts are so massive and convoluted.
oneway blocks are also broken (thied commenting out the LDA as was posted on another thread) but i believe the check in the jump script regarding the one way platforms is actually what breaks it.

i checked my input assignments some 150 times now, and i also rewrote them multiple times in various forms of complexity, but there's something else going on here, the animation glitches can't be weeded out by simply doing state checking anymore.
(i also tried using my old input assemblies from 4.0.11 and while they work perfectly there, they're completely broken in 4.1.0 too.)

i dont know, it's all just a terrible, terrible cluster**** at the moment. not to mention that the physics of jump are now controlled in some weird location i have once again no idea about..... i had varjump controlling the fall height and the "tightness" of the jump on button release, but those have no effect whatsoever anymore to the jump physics..

*sigh* and i JUST finished setting the physics the way i wanted -__-

i might actually just roll back to 4.0.11 and finish the game without scroll. if setting basic input animations is this complicated in the new version, i dont really even want to know what else i will run into.

edit: a little further digging reveals that a new file called ExtraControllReadCode.asm is responsible for hardcoding down button press to action state 5 (for god knows what reason)
also the reason why animations are not really functioning as they should, is because for whatever reason, the object's state settings (where you set endanimation/endaction et cetera) completely overrides what you write in your input assemblies, making all the animation glitch checks i wrote completely useless.

at this point in time im honestly clueless of how to approach this, i've been working with the files on 4.1.0 for some 5 hours now, and so far i dont even have basic inputs working so that they are not glitching allover the place.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, I understand... at each new version, it's always the same (projects need to be redone from scratch, because everything's "broken"/different).
Just needs some time to learn again how the engine and the tool work, now. Learn how to use all the new features/routines/macros we have access in the version... and understand how to break it.

I would suggest to try to follow all the new tutorial videos, make those tutorial games, become confident with this version, try some experiments, rebuilding the main parts of your game from scratch (you can reuse the assets, ...)

And wWit for the new tutorial (more detailed). It' just released today, give it some time... and some of the new bugs might be patched soon (Joe and Josh already working on some)

And don't forget guys... it's a new NESMaker. Just enjoy!

Mugi

i already tried literally anything i came up with to be honest.
at this point in time, the only thing i have left to try is to abuse this exra input controller file, but seriously, just why was this even done !?
what was so horribly wrong using the input files to configure actions that it had to be completely disabled lol.

tutorials have really nothing to do with this anymore, i was completely capable of handling the code required to prevent input buffering issues, but now that code is just being ignored.

here's a couple examples i have;

- i have a check to see if my char is in the air, and if it is, the action state is always air (change to jump when walking off the ledge, for example.) this doesnt work anymore, the game just ignores the check and continues with walking animation.
- you cannot exit jumping animation by landing to the ground anymore, this check is ignored, and you stay in jumping animation either permanently, or until your object's "endaction" happens, and is defined to something else than repeat or loop
if your jump's end action is loop or repeat, you will never exit the jump animation until you let go of the d-pad.

im starting to think that the way the controller is being polled changed, but in all likelihood, changing things like that is out of my league. If i could program anything for the nes, i wouldn't be using nesmaker, but now im just really on the edge of just giving up to be honest. learning this from absolutely never having touched nes assembly before took me couple hours with 4.0.11, and even with everything i gained from that, i cant even make a single animation work anymore.

Im about ready to call it a day now and try again in couple years when i've learned enough assembly to actually tear down the entire engine to figure out what's going on. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of "no coding required" though :/

dale_coop

Staff member
Don't give up... As I say, take rest, just play with the tool without coding.
New tutorial videos will come (intermediate level, Joe will explain how to use the scripts, what they do, how to break them, ...)
Really, you are just to much focusing on how to fit your already written code to a already written very basic module (for beginners).
Be wise... Just wait some days that the new tutorial arrive ;)

Mugi

im not really.
the only reason i wrote such code was because on 4.0.11 there were lots of issues with animations because of input buffers, so i took my time and learned how to fix them.
now a new version came out with much more elaborate control configurations, and i took them in use. but they didnt work either, the animations are still broken left and right with the default input scripts.
the only difference is that now my old code doesnt work with the tool either. and no matter how i modify the new code, i cant get it to do anything that it should really.

character movement is pretty much the most basic thing of a platformer game, and unless i have that functioning, what's the point of even going any further ? That's what i think atleast. It's kinda like making a racing game where you cant accelerate. it it might boot up and have nice graphics, but it wont be much fun to play :p

anyway, my point is that this was made totally unnecessarily complicated for no reason really.
also, no readme, no explanation, no nothing.

what even changed that broke everything ? controller polling? bug in the tool ? bug in the sourcecode ? changed variable names ?
i need something to work with here, im not a professional programmer capable of just instantly knowing what im even looking for here.

i would have been totally happy using my old input scripts and losing the functionality to drop through one-way platforms that is implemented into the new jump input, but that's not an option either.

dale_coop

Staff member
Mugi, have you try to disable the Extra Control Input script, to test if your project inputs work better?

Create a "BlankExtraControlReadCode.asm" script with only:
Code:
ExtraInputControl:
	RTS

And in "Project Settings > Script Settings", assign this script to the "Extra Control Script":

2019-01-04-13-58-03-Param-tres-du-projet.png

Mugi

i toyed with it, but it's not the reason for all the issues i had. the extra control script is pretty much just as it says, it's a post-script that runs after inputs.
i dont recommend taking that file out if you're working on a platformer, as it's responsible for the stuff that makes falling through oneway blocks possible when pressing down and jumping while standing on one.
it causes some interesting physics issues if you use the jump script paired with it, and disable that file :p

at any rate, I finally got my input / animation issues out of the way after spending the whole night learning assembly and going through the physics/collision code :p

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok, good to know you finally found solutions to your issues.
The 4.1 is quite good (way better than the 4.0, personally). We just need to dig into the new code, learn how the engine is working. And we will find (again) a lot of ways of doing what we want for our game ;)

Mugi

yeah, it has a lot going on in it.
I've been playing with the scroll engine ever since i got the movment out of the way, and it appears that just like Joe said, it's clearly designed for only to scroll right. It has some really incoherent issues with collisions and whatnot when scrolling left, especially if 2-way scrolling is used. Im pretty much dead set to get it fully working though, although that might just be for the next project. Dimension drive will propably utilize right scroll, and extremely limited amounts of 2-way scroll.

Top Bottom