[4.1] HUD Displaying Incorrect Colors Solution

TurtleRescueNES

I thought I'd share something I learned in case someone else has the same issue. With the new Sprite 0 version of the HUD, come some new quirks. Coloring of the HUD is one of those.

In his videos, Joe highly recommends that you paint the empty screen space behind your HUD with the fourth sub palette to match what the HUD should be using. Not doing so will cause another palette to get called and make your HUD look like someone splattered the wrong color paint over it.

This is very easy to do. Just hold the "R" key and paint that space completely with the fourth palette. Just as an FYI, holding the "Q","W","E" and "R" keys all paint the existing tiled in the 1st through 4th sub palettes respectively.

Now, you may have already known that, and that brings me to the real reason I started this thread. I did all that, and yet, I still had HUD coloring issues. It took a lot of trail and error, but I figured out that not only do you have to paint the top portion of your current screen, but also check the top portion of the screen to its left! The way to look at it is these screens are now married to one another, so you need to make sure every screen has the top portion painted. In my case, I did not even establish a screen to the left. Once I did, (leaving it totally blank is fine) and painted its top area in the fourth sub palette, the problem screen corrected itself.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah I still have issues with the HUD too (looks like left half of the HUD is loaded from the next screen)

TurtleRescueNES

Just want to add that you may also have to add a screen to the right and paint its HUD area as well. Man, this Sprite 0 thing is weird.

Top Bottom