Blank Screen after Start Screen

Retrobuster

Hey all, it's been a long night of tooling around in NESMaker so I'm hoping I'm just doing something stupid, but all of a sudden, my game won't start after the start screen. Start screen shows up fine, but after I press start on the controller, nothing happens. It's just a blank window and the music from the start screen is still playing. It was working fine until I tried importing new music. So I tried re-importing my old music but that didn't fix the issue. The music got replaced, but the blank window issue remained. Any thoughts?

dale_coop

Staff member
When you press "Start", your start screen goes away...? and you have a white screen?
Check your "HUD" settings, the sprite 0 settings: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=10287#p10287

Could you share some screenshots? (HUD areas settings, your screen where you placed the player,... )

Retrobuster

I press start and a black screen shows up. Im not at home so can't check the hud settings but I don't know why they would've changed from the defaults, but I suppose there's a chance they did somehow. I'll post some screenshots later.

dale_coop

Staff member
Is it a new project made in 4.1 or was it a 4.0.11 that you opened id 4.1?
Tell us more about your settings... and share some screenshots ;)

Retrobuster

OK, so here's something weird. If I place my player on a completely empty screen, everything is working fine again. Even the music. So there's got to be some setting off on just this one screen. However, I've literally changed nothing in any settings or scripts except assign the emulator. The sprite zero settings are only the way they are now, bc I wanted to test them against the ones in your post - which didn't solve the problem either. So, originally, nothing had been changed with sprite zero and the game worked fine up until the point I imported tutorial music. This has got to be something simple I'm overlooking. Screenshots attached, but I'm not sure if that's what you need or if you need something else.
EDIT: Also, if I copy and paste that screen somewhere else in the overworld, the same issue arises. So definitely screen specific.

Attachments

• hud.png
    hud.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,718
  • overworld.png
    overworld.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,718

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok... hummm.... could you share your GameObject.bmp file too ? (Maybe your tile 127 is not non-transparent?)
And please, set the "use sprite 0" (because this module is based on that)

Retrobuster

Ugh! Man, I've royally screwed something up. I created 2 new screens and now I can't move between them. Tile 127 is not non-transparent and sprite 0 is set correctly. Tried scrolling and non-scrolling and when my player hits the edge of the screen, it gets stopped. I do NOT have the "edge stops player" box checked. Honestly, might just start a new project since everything seems to work fine when I do that. Wasn't far along in this one at all. Mostly had just made graphics assets.

Retrobuster said:
Ugh! Man, I've royally screwed something up. I created 2 new screens and now I can't move between them. Tile 127 is not non-transparent and sprite 0 is set correctly. Tried scrolling and non-scrolling and when my player hits the edge of the screen, it gets stopped. I do NOT have the "edge stops player" box checked. Honestly, might just start a new project since everything seems to work fine when I do that. Wasn't far along in this one at all. Mostly had just made graphics assets.

Tile 127 can't be transparent, make sure it's not black in the "BRGB" mode of the pixel editor.

Can you make sure that it's placed at the bottom right corner of your HUD?

Edit: here's an example of proper placement.

6uXWhpV.png

Granted, your HUD is probably 2 tiles tall, but it's the same idea, just place it on that spot of your HUD.

dale_coop

Staff member
Have you set (checked) the use “sprite 0” in your HUD settings (because it your previous screenshots it was not) and could you share screenshots of your hud tiles, gameobject tiles?
Screen infos?
There must be something not correct somewhere.

Retrobuster

I simply started a new project, because I gave up on the black screen issue. Everything is working fine EXCEPT one thing - moving to a new screen. I'm starting on screen 0,0 and trying to move right to 1,0. I can do that perfectly fine until I put solid walls all around the screen - allowing only one door way out of that room on the right wall...THEN I can no longer move to the 1,0. It stops me at the edge of the screen and I have nothing there except my walkable floor tile. I've started a brand new project and simply imported my graphics, inputs, pallettes and built two screens with nothing in them but walkable tiles and solid tiles. AND to make matters even more confusing, if I start my player on 1,0 I CAN move left onto 0,0 but then I can't move BACK to 1,0. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• screen1.png
    screen1.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 867
  • hud.png
    hud.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 867
  • hudtiles.png
    hudtiles.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 867
  • obj.png
    obj.png
    975 bytes · Views: 867

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok now I see, it’s a collision issue. When your player tries to leave the screens the collision data is red from at the wrong place...

Here more about the issue: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=10763#p10763

Top Bottom