New to NESMaker, never have been on a forum, and I have lots and lots of problems...

rimoJO

So, I've just gotten NESMaker, and it's going great... but I can't jump (Platform), there's no collision (Platform, Adventure), and I can't transition screens left or right (Adventure). And I've also never been on a forum. So, could I get some help please? Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
Hi rimoJO
First, welcome to the forum, you can find help, ideas, code, example, ... answers.
I think you mossed something... Have you followed all the tutorial videos from www.thenew8bitheroes.com? It's important to do, it will teach you how to use NESMaker, how it works... and and to make your first small games.
Then, if you did, and still have errors, here is the right place ;)

- Jumps: Have you set the corresponding scripts in the Input Editor? (if you think it's ok, could you share a screenshots of your input editor?)
- Collisions: have you set all the bounding box of the objects you made (player, monsters, ...)? And have you set your player as "Player" and monsters as "Monsters"?
- Screen transitions: how are your "screen infos"? you didn't set "edge stops player"?
On the NESMaker Facebook group, the NESMaker team released yesterday a patch that fix some issues with the screen edge screen collisions, you should try to install and patch your NESMaker: http://joshuafallon.com/nesmaker/?fbclid=IwAR1QGNS8rokIZBZvgEvp-VqWEPh3YnCfWcWYYHbtBt3wJxOr2XzmGdEacnA

rimoJO

Jump: Yes, I did make an input. For reference, it's maingame, null, hold a, and Userscripts\PlatformGame_base\InputScripts\playerJump.asm. I have also made animations.
Collision: Bounding boxes softlock my character. But I'll try again.
Transitions: Edge stops player? Is that like an asm or something?
And thank you for the help!
-rimoJO

rimoJO

I got the jump and collision to work! Thank you! -rimoJO
EDIT: Can I change how high I jump? I'm not talking about variable jumping, but I feel that I jump too high...

dale_coop

Staff member
Joe explained that in his platformer video... to modify the high of the jump, you need to adjust the values of the "JUMP_SPEED_HI" and "JUMP_SPEED_LO" user constants (in the "project settings", user constants tab).
Usually the "HI" one will be a small value between 0 and 6... and the "LO" can be between 0 and 255...

rimoJO

The video was hard to see, so I couldn't figure anything out. Also, all I see is object v speed hi. No lo.

dale_coop

Staff member
Means you did not watch all the tutorial videos? Man, you really need... else you will have a LOT of issues / questions...

For the jump constants, in your "Project Settings":

2019-01-12-17-43-41-Project-Settings.png

Top Bottom