Game Compiling, but Export and Test gives black?

LowTierSteve

When I started on this project, I was using a Player Game object that was 2x2 8-pixel blocks. I also designed my background tiles and created a screen at Overworld position 7,8. I set the HUD/playable/textbox areas, chose to skip the start screen, set my bounding box as the entire player sprite, and successfully Exported and Tested to see the screen with background assets and the player exactly where I placed him. Great success.

However, he was much smaller than I wanted, so I redesigned the character to be way too big (not realizing it was too big at the time) - 6x8 8-pixel blocks. I changed his position to be lower to the screen, re-set the bounding box, and tested. Background graphics loaded, but the player was all out of whack. After asking on the FB group, I was told he was too big and could have been causing some glitching.

I re-scaled him down to 2x3 tall (Simon in Castlevania-esque), reset the animations, reset the bounding box, and updated the Player start position again. At first, I was getting background and sound but no player (invisible). Now, I'm getting just a black screen when I Export and test. When I use the PPU Viewer in the debugger, I can see that it's loading the player graphics file, but not the background tileset. It's also showing me horizontal black and white lines in the lower half of the left area - is that for other assets/monsters?

Anyone have any ideas about what's happening / possible fixes?

dale_coop

Staff member
Check you HUD is set: 2 rows min for the HD Area and the rest for the Playable Area.
And also, make all your animations, the same number of frames (small issues sometimes, glitchy when the amount of frames in the animation it's switching to are too different).

LowTierSteve

HUD and active player area have been set correctly the entire time.

All animations are set for 4 frames, and all frames have been filled in and are the same Width/Height.

Same issue persists.

dale_coop

Staff member
Is your player set "player" and "persistent"?
Are you using the fixed movements scripts from http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=390 ?
Try to remove the text area, monsters area from HUD...

LowTierSteve

Player was (and still is) configured to player and persistent.

I have removed the text, monster, and other boxes.

I have not messed with inputs whatsoever. It was exporting to test fine before (without them) - shouldn't it still export without me having to go through all of the inputs?

LowTierSteve

And the PPU Viewer is still showing that the Player assets are loading, but the BG assets are not.. Possibly related to the game not loading in the test? Is something failing in between those?

dale_coop

Staff member
It would run even without any input scripts assigned.
Did you make any change in the code? Made some custom tile type script? Or changed in the Project settings>basic scripts tab?
How did you make your graphics? in the pixel editor (or open/save the "BckCHR_00.bmp", "GameObjectTiles.bmp", ... in another image editor) ?

LowTierSteve

I know nothing about ASM so I’ve done no custom coding. I’ve done all asset/bg drawing inside of NESMaker. I didn’t add any scripts beyond the Basic Module ones that came with it. Game was loading when I initially assigned those scripts.

dale_coop

Staff member
Did you imported music? (from beta assets folder or something you made)?
Try to put your player in the middle of a new screen...
Strange, it should work... something we are missing, here...
Could you share screenshots of your player settings?

LowTierSteve

So, progress... I created a second screen, to the right, using one tile that auto-filled the screen, and put my player there. Then export and test... works!

So there's something wrong with my initial screen. I did some testing and can't figure out what it was, though... I ended up deleting it and re-assigning the exact same background assets onto the new screen, and it works perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

dale_coop

Staff member
Maybe you used the « Reser all placements « (on the right click)?
Don’t use it, it doesn’t work as excepted... if you want to remove monsters/game objects from your screen, use « Edit monster placement » instead and disable the ones you want to remove.

Top Bottom