Issue with handling death, game instantly resets

Vay

Following Joe's tutorials on Vimeo, I've used the Action Steps in my player's Object Details to make him spin around, then flash and die. At that point the game should be resetting as I have nothing else programmed for it to do. I've fixed the issue in the Script Defines with scripts having a "/SCRIPTS" in their location that didn't belong, so my HandlePlayerDeath.asm is defined correctly, yet upon my character touching a Player Death tile the game resets, and touching a monster my character just flashes and bounces backwards. Joe said in the video the "Effect 0" is used for a death animation. Can anyone help me figure this out?

dale_coop

Staff member
Same request (I didn’t search for a fix yet), I notice that in the current version of NESMaker the handleDeath subroutine has changed, it direct call the “RESET” now, (no more death animation code executed).
I think Joe was working (on rewriting?) that part when he releases the v 4.0 but didn’t have time to finish it?
I think we will see wedNESday with the 4.0.2

Does your character have Health set? If it's set to 0, taking damage will roll over and set him to max Health.

If he has health, does your Enemy actually deal damage? Or does it just push him back? Setting the Monster to have a strength value will cause it to to damage.

These are some things I had to do to cause my player to die, and it would reset me back to the starting position.

Top Bottom