Adding and subtracting numbers. Not sure on best approach.

My game has the character climbing a tower. The Floor you're on matters because you'll occasionally climb or fall a couple at a time, and it's possible you'll get lost. (Or find yourself going in circles). I'm trying to figure out a way to calculate/display what Floor I'm on.

I have a couple of ideas on how to calculate this, but not sure if these are variables I can pull from NES Maker easily, and wondering if anyone else has some ideas, or know where I can look to find these values.

Option 1: Screen type. If it's possible to pull this number, I can set the Screen type value to whatever Floor the screen represents and have that display on the HUD. ie. Screen Type 1, will display "Floor: 01" and so on.

Option 2: Is it possible to see/count what Screen I'm actually on in the overworld map? These X/Y coordinates to track things in the tool, but not sure this translated in Code the same way. ie. If Screen is in the X/Y coords of 2/3, I'll use the Y to display my Floor number (This will require me to make my screens in very specific places)

Option 3: Custom Warp Tiles. Have my warp tiles increase or decrease a value whenever they're used. This one both seems the easiest, and hardest as it's more prone to user error. ie, I'll have a "Ascend Warp" and a "Descend Warp" that will increase/decrease a number variable.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Top Bottom