Export & Test is not running in the emulator

kennyp1369

I am not getting a game to appear in FCEUX or the provided emulator. All I've done is completed the latest tutorial videos. I have a single screen with a monster and a player on it. I get this message in DOS:

C:\Users\kenny\NES_stuff\NESmaker_4_0_0\NESmaker_4_0_0\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
pass 2..
game.nes written (524304 bytes).
demo.txt written.

C:\Users\kenny\NES_stuff\NESmaker_4_0_0\NESmaker_4_0_0\GameEngineData>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

and then FCEUX just has a blank screen.
I have Working Folder: C:\Users\kenny\NES_stuff\NESmaker_4_0_0\NESmaker_4_0_0\GameEngineData
and I have Parameters: game.nes
What could I have missed?

dale_coop

Staff member
The message DOS is ok (no errors).
The result is (should be) what you made in NESMaker.

Isn't it? What is exactly your problem? (share some screenshots?)

kennyp1369

I don't know what the bare minimum is to get something to display on the emulator other than a blank screen. I have imported the basic module into the project script settings, added some tiles to the over world, and defined my screen areas.

Attachments

• Screenshot (163).png
    Screenshot (163).png
    388.5 KB · Views: 2,431

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep, skip the start screen.

Else if you want to keep the Start Screen, and make your game to start when you press a button (for example the START button) :
you could make a new StartButton_StartScreen.asm script (in your GameEngineData\Routines\UserScripts\) with :
Code:
StartButton_StartScreen:
	LDA #STATE_START_GAME
	STA change_state
	LDA #%10000000
	STA gameHandler ;; turn sprites on
    RTS
And call that script when "Start" button is pressed on "StartScreen", in the input manager.

I STRONGLY suggest you to follow the tutorial videos, it will help you a lot ;)

DrPickens

I have the same problem except it goes from my custom start screen to a black one when i press start. I have imported project modules, added tiles, added monster groups, and a player. Please tell me the fix ;)

dale_coop

Staff member
Check your HUD: needs to be 2 rows min for the HUD Area and the rest for the Playable Area.

dale_coop

Staff member
Things to check:
- Did you got the fixed movement script from here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=390
(Today we will have a update of NESMaker, so those scripts will be no more needed... but currenlty you NEED them)
- open your player object details and check he is "Player" and "PERSISTENT".
- In "overworld", double-clic on your sceen. Then place again your player, doing a right -clic and choising "Place Player".

Top Bottom