Where to start?

squidsquif

Hello, this is my first experience making games (you have to start somewhere!), and the whole "no programming required" seemed like it would be the best program for me to make games in. However, I really don't know where to begin. I have watched the tutorial videos on their Youtube channel multiple times, but they really just tell you how to use some of the assets in NesMaker, and not so much where to start. Should I create the player sprites first? The monster sprites? The title screen? I really don't know where to begin with this program, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated :D

Orgia Mode

Make a solid colored square for your main character and a some various sized squares for monsters, then work on level design. Its probably more important that your game plays well than it is for your characters to be perfect.

squidsquif said:
Hello, this is my first experience making games (you have to start somewhere!), and the whole "no programming required" seemed like it would be the best program for me to make games in. However, I really don't know where to begin. I have watched the tutorial videos on their Youtube channel multiple times, but they really just tell you how to use some of the assets in NesMaker, and not so much where to start. Should I create the player sprites first? The monster sprites? The title screen? I really don't know where to begin with this program, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated :D

Id start with a few back ground sprites a solid and a walkable. Then the player and inputs. That way you can learn the basics and see it applied as you make your character move around. Just follow the tutorials as you make things. Pause when you have to rewind and repeat. Most of all practice, practice, practice.

dale_coop

Staff member
Orgia Mode said:
Make a solid colored square for your main character and a some various sized squares for monsters, then work on level design. Its probably more important that your game plays well than it is for your characters to be perfect.

Yeah exactly my game :p
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=572

https://youtu.be/vm5NedJaI2g

1990in1

Hello!
As the 4.0 getting started tutorial is not complete yet - I can't properly compile any project...
Could anyone upload very very basic project that works (can compile)? Maybe at nesmakerfiles.com.

I tried to make 1tile background, 1 tile player, no animations or actions. Created palette groups, HUD and other areas, defined player tile as player but when I try to compile I get this:
Code:
...\NES\NESmaker_4_0_0\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
Routines\System\TileTypes\TileType00.asm(1): Can't open file.
Routines\System\TileTypes\TileType01.asm(27): Can't open file.
Routines\System\TileTypes\TileType02.asm(1): Can't open file.
(...)
BankData\Bank14.asm(13): Can't open file.
BankData\Bank14.asm(19): Can't open file.
BankData\Bank14.asm(25): Can't open file.
BankData\Bank14.asm(31): Can't open file.
Routines\System\AI_ActionRoutines\AI_Action_00.asm(2): Can't open file.
Routines\System\AI_ActionRoutines\AI_Action_01.asm(1): Can't open file.
(...)

dale_coop

Staff member
You can watch the NESmaker 4.0 launch video, Joe and Austin make a complete project that runs well:
https://www.facebook.com/TheNew8bitHeroes/videos/2001403529870154/
(You need to import the BasicModule.MOD)

MistSonata

You need to import a module. NESmaker 4.0 comes with a "basic" module that's very barebones, go to Project>Import Project Module and choose the .mod file in the module folder.

Where to start, mess around in the program and watch tutorials to get an idea of possible limitations.
Look at old games for inspiration.
Document your game ideas (theme/characters/weapons/points/etc), so you're not aimlessly creating stuff.

Orgia Mode

1990in1 said:
Hello!
As the 4.0 getting started tutorial is not complete yet - I can't properly compile any project...
Could anyone upload very very basic project that works (can compile)? Maybe at nesmakerfiles.com.

I tried to make 1tile background, 1 tile player, no animations or actions. Created palette groups, HUD and other areas, defined player tile as player but when I try to compile I get this:
Code:
...\NES\NESmaker_4_0_0\GameEngineData>asm6 MainASM.nes game.nes demo.txt
pass 1..
Routines\System\TileTypes\TileType00.asm(1): Can't open file.
Routines\System\TileTypes\TileType01.asm(27): Can't open file.
Routines\System\TileTypes\TileType02.asm(1): Can't open file.
(...)
BankData\Bank14.asm(13): Can't open file.
BankData\Bank14.asm(19): Can't open file.
BankData\Bank14.asm(25): Can't open file.
BankData\Bank14.asm(31): Can't open file.
Routines\System\AI_ActionRoutines\AI_Action_00.asm(2): Can't open file.
Routines\System\AI_ActionRoutines\AI_Action_01.asm(1): Can't open file.
(...)

MistSonata said:
You need to import a module. NESmaker 4.0 comes with a "basic" module that's very barebones, go to Project>Import Project Module and choose the .mod file in the module folder.

Yes, this.
But I do urge you to watch the launch day video too. Its very informative.

squidsquif

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone replied! You all mentioned things that I overlooked (selecting a module mainly). I started the video tutorial that Joe posted on Youtube today, and things are much clearer now. I'll just have to keep practicing :p

Top Bottom