Issue with Export & Test (not major)

Orkzilla

So...I'm getting a weird issue when I attempt to export & test and I wonder if I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm following along with the 'Adventure Game Tutorial' YouTube video. I got through about half way (player animations done, mapped inputs, etc.) using the supplied art assets for my player. Everything up to that point was working as intended, I could export & test and had a player that was moving and animating properly. I decided to go ahead and pause the tutorial and make my own player art (working on learning sprite design in photoshop) and put my newly created character in the game. I replaced the art assets with my new ones and redid the player sprites/animations. Now when I export & test, it's still my old character in the game. If I navigate to the GameEngineData folder and open 'game.nes' in my emulator, it has my new character and everything works as intended.

Not a major issue, but I'm trying to understand the tools and how the folder hierarchy works a bit better. I'm not sure what other info to include, but hopefully someone notices something super obvious that I'm missing.

MistSonata

Can you take a screenshot or copy and paste any errors appearing in the console window when you hit export and test?

Orkzilla

MistSonata said:
Can you take a screenshot or copy and paste any errors appearing in the console window when you hit export and test?

That's the thing that's confusing to me - I'm not getting any type of error message. The export & test is loading up my original character sprite/animations and it's working like it did before I made the changes. I can then close that and navigate to the GameEngineData folder and run 'game.nes' in my emulator and it runs with the new character sprite/animations.

dale_coop

Staff member
Check again your “project settings > emulator” you may not be “pointing” on the right game.nes file?
Maybe you made a copy of your NESMaker folder and are using now the copy but forgot to change the settings?!

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok, I spent some time working in NESMaker (making assets, screens, object details, ...) and experienced exactly the same thing.
Looks like some modifications just vanish, and replaced by the version before modifications...
For exemple, I am working on a screen, I put some tiles, some paths,... I go to a next screen. Then I come back to the previous screen, the modifications are not there anymore (all the new tiles I put are not there anymore).

A bug in the tool (maybe auto-saving/backup related), TheGeek could investigate on that.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Going to tag Josh in this. He just recently worked on a method of extra protection for save data. I wonder if this is related.

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, to the ORIGINAL post here, I'm 99% sure that you must've moved your folder or something, and that the emulator is still pointing to the OLD VERSION. Make sure that your emulator settings are set up to point to the current game.nes file.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yep. I have the same problem in my main NESMaker folder and you can trust me, my settings is 100% ok.
I can work in NESMaker, I make screen, objects... I save: everything is ok, compile & test, it works perfectly.
So I continue working, modify some screens, I go to another screen continue to make some modifications, compile and test. And sometimes it doesn’t take the modifications. Strange, I go back to my screen and my modifications are gone (like cancel... or like if NM has revert the modifications)
And during all that I never closed NESMaker.

There might be a small bug in the tool.

So now, I click on save button every time I make a modification, and I check if my modification is ok (i go to another dialog and I come back where I made the modification to check if it’s ok).

TheGeek

Thanks for the info! So you are saying that while going back and forth with placing the assets on screens that it reverts? That is very odd! The only timed off-thread reload of data is when you make changes to the tileset themselves. I detect it, then wait a couple seconds for any other changes to go through before I reload the tiles. The actual screen data should be safe. If you can find a way to reproduce this, I would be grateful! I am looking at that bit of code right now and I can't reproduce it. Thank you for bringing this up man!

--Josh

Orkzilla

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
Actually, to the ORIGINAL post here, I'm 99% sure that you must've moved your folder or something, and that the emulator is still pointing to the OLD VERSION. Make sure that your emulator settings are set up to point to the current game.nes file.

dale_coop said:
Check again your “project settings > emulator” you may not be “pointing” on the right game.nes file?
Maybe you made a copy of your NESMaker folder and are using now the copy but forgot to change the settings?!

Ok, so I'm thinking you guys sorted that right out. I read a post a couple of days ago about something accidentally wiping out all of their art assets, so I made a copy of my entire folder at some point and completely forgot later that day when I got back to following along with the adventure game tutorial. I checked and sure enough, my project settings were pointing to my original folder. I'm almost certain that I made the changes after copying the entire folder though, so still maybe something for Josh to check out at some point (but probably not super high on the list).

I will definitely be saving more frequently from here on out because clearly my memory can not be trusted (as if RPGs growing up hadn't already taught me that lesson).

TL,DR
If you have this issue check "project settings > emulator" - the issue is likely you, not the tools

Thank you guys for sorting this one out for me; I'll be sure to RTFM sometime real soon

dale_coop

Staff member
TheGeek said:
Thanks for the info! So you are saying that while going back and forth with placing the assets on screens that it reverts? That is very odd! The only timed off-thread reload of data is when you make changes to the tileset themselves. I detect it, then wait a couple seconds for any other changes to go through before I reload the tiles. The actual screen data should be safe. If you can find a way to reproduce this, I would be grateful! I am looking at that bit of code right now and I can't reproduce it. Thank you for bringing this up man!

--Josh
Exactly, what is happening...

I still reproduce it some times, yeah. I will try to find a logic in the bug, to reproduce it.
And will try to screen record my work, and try to reproduce it ;)
I will tell you (and Josh) when I will have reproduced it.

ToborPrime

Hi!

I can confirm that I am running into this same issue. I work on the project, make changes to an asset (tileset, object, etc.) - go to Export and Test, find nothing has changed, go check my work, and the last several changes I made are gone.

I've taken to jamming on every save button I can find after every change I make. This problem seems to be weirdly incremental, or something. Progress will be made on my project file, but I often have to repeat changes and steps I take. I will, for example, go to the player object and add 8 new animations. Go to export and test (AFTER saving the Player Object, and the actual Project File) - notice not all changes took effect, return to the Player Object, and only 4 of the 8 new animations have been added.

I noticed, too, that the "Details" tab for my Player object also had the "PERSISTENT" and "player" property checked. After Export and Test, sometimes neither will be checked when returning to the object, or only one of the two properties will be checked.

My Project Settings are pointing to the correct .nes file. I am working from the "nesmaker_4_0_6" folder within another "nesdev" folder that's on my desktop. On Windows 10 64-bit. Following the "Adven-Tutorial" video.

For best practices, should I be making copies of the "nesmaker_4_0_6" folder when creating a new project and renaming it? Like: "nesmaker_4_0_6_AdvenTutorial"?

Anyway, just thought I'd also confirm this particular issue. It's a great tool, I'm excited to keep using it and you guys have been delivering great support. Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
I had it again, once when I was working on a monster.
Made a monster, defined his object details, then I went working on some screens. When I came back on my monster, all the object details modifications I made just before was canceled (back to the previous state).

Inkling101

Hi! I was making my platformer, I created a single screen to test the gravity, and when I Export and Test, it says that the value for AssignBanks.asm is out of range! My project will not load on the FCUEX Emulator. Please Help!
I made no changes to any code, so I don’t understand the issue. Also, everytime I try, my game.nes gets deleted! :?:

Inkling101

pass 1..
Routines\System\AssignBanks.asm(90): Value our of range.
Routines\UserScripts\AdventureGame_Base\MainScripts\
Adventure_Drawing.asm(1): Label already defined.

dale_coop

Staff member
You shouldn't have this message with the platform module... think you mistake something.
You might some incorrect scripts assigned in your Project Settings > Scripts settings.
I would suggest you to import again the PlatfomModule, for your game.

Inkling101

I reimported and it stills says this. Is there something wrong with the module, the rom, the emulator, the game,
the adventure scripts the platformer uses, or is the AssignBanks.asm code?

Top Bottom