Adventure game like Metal Gear?

Blacksheep32

So I've been watching and listening to the Adventure module to learn the basics and was wondering if Metal Gear fits that genre? I would like to create a monster script similar to the enemies, but am not sure where to begin. Thanks for any advice!

TurtleRescueNES

I would think Metal Gear most fits in the Adventure module. Definitely not a platformer, space shooter, or beat-em-up. So adventure it is.

But NES Maker doesn't yet have all the abilities out-of-the box to do everything that Metal Gear can do without you having to do some extra coding. With reasonable ease, you can build a game where your your hero gains a knife and a gun as separate weapons. You could also build enemies that patrol their camp in fixed movements. But it would take some time to give the enemies some A.I. to "see" you then charge after you. But there are plenty of people here that know coding rather well that may be able to assist.

Shodanbot

Blacksheep32 said:
Ha! And the ai to see and chase is what I am after, lol! Thanks :)

The line of sight stuff would be easy enough and I'd imagine that you can look at the script that makes projectiles collide with solid tiles for a bit of inspiration for what can and can't block its vision. Then it would be a matter of shortening its reach and setting it to the direction the AI is facing. Chasing you would be easy too because if it can shoot towards the player's direction then it can move towards the player's direction. Pathfinding would be trickier to polish because I can imagine a lot of "wall hugging."

The harder part would be the finite state machine code which would greatly improve the reliability and predictability of the AI, (very important for any stealth game) but there's plenty of technical information available to you on FSMs. Though, I'm not sure the Nintendo can take advantage of FSMs on its primitive hardware. I'm guessing it's possible.

Here is a Demo of a current WIP game Code Name: Silencer that was inspired by the metal gear style.
I am working on reacting AI as well

Attachments

• Code Name Silencer Demo 1.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom