does someone have code for side scrolling/

fearspork

does someone have code for side scrolling? i thought it would be an option in the platformer module but i was mistaken, i dont want to wait for future updates and hope its in there, and frankly i'm worried Nintendo the way they're dealing with rom sites, this whole thing could get shut down tomorrow

MistSonata

No one is shutting down NESmaker, Nintendo is going after rom sites for distributing roms of commercial games. It's not illegal to create new games for the NES, nor is it illegal to write and sell software for creating those games. NESmaker is going to be just fine.

fearspork

all i'm saying is i got a wife kids and a house , and Nintendo sends me a cease and desist i would shut the whole thing down. doesn't matter how right and legal i am

Bucket Mouse

That spork over there is a little TOO fearful, I'd say.

There's a sidescrolling engine in NESMaker already. But I'm guessing it doesn't work very well or it would be wired up to function. It's weird how no one's attempted to patch it together and use it yet.

fearspork

yeah im asking for someone to patch that, or make their own module, i remember seeing side scrolling in the pre (pi) beta tutorials, as far as the legal stuff is all i'm trying to say is, i have a wife and kids and a house, much like the guys who made NESmaker, i was also frivolously sued for for a million dollars over a car accident in my early 20s and even though i had done nothing wrong it still cost me thousands of dollars and my insurance was ruined for a decade, if Nintendo sent me a letter, i would be out doesn't matter how right and legal it is

opt2not

You're not listening to what is being said:

MistSonata said:
It's not illegal to create new games for the NES, nor is it illegal to write and sell software for creating those games. NESmaker is going to be just fine.

NESmaker is an interface for ASM code - which is machine code. Machine Code is not copyrighted by Nintendo, or anyone.
Nintendo cannot come after you, or the creators of NESmaker.

This is considered homebrew software development. Homebrew is completely legal. BUT, methods used to enable a console to run homebrew code can be illegal in cases where the software circumvents copy protection. For instance, mod chips are illegal because they remove the lock-out features that console companies install to fight against piracy.

Since the NES doesn't have any lockout protection to run homebrew, and if you're not actually using any Nintendo licensed assets, then you're fine and have nothing to be paranoid about.

fearspork

you guys are getting way way side tracked here I'm assuming everyone came here looking for code for side scrolling ? does anyone have code for side scrolling?

opt2not

Well, you started and continued on with the side-tracked topic...

fearspork said:
does someone have code for side scrolling? i thought it would be an option in the platformer module but i was mistaken, i dont want to wait for future updates and hope its in there, and frankly i'm worried Nintendo the way they're dealing with rom sites, this whole thing could get shut down tomorrow

I don't have side-scrolling code, but if you're able to wait till next week, the tentative release schedule has the Shooter Module coming up next, which should have side-scrolling added since that's a basic function of the shooter genre.

MistSonata

fearspork said:
you guys are getting way way side tracked here I'm assuming everyone came here looking for code for side scrolling ? does anyone have code for side scrolling?

If someone had a code for scrolling that they were willing to share, they would've posted it in the code section already.

You're right about one thing, a lot of people want scrolling capabilities, including me. Joe is still working on that, but it's not going to be as simple as adding a single script with a few subroutines. There's a lot of little moving parts. I'd recommend reading the explanation from Kasumi here: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=737&start=10#p4681 to get an idea of why it's going to be difficult to make scrolling work for a wide variety of games. Even if scrolling isn't in the next module, it should be coming. We just have to be patient.

fearspork

so i'll say this again i have a family and own a house, if i was making NESmaker and Nintendo sends me a letter which they are prone to do, even though everything i was doing was perfectly legal and i was totally in the right , id be out. id shut down in a minute. i think everything these guys are doing is great, they're working at a breakneck speed but its a real possibility nintento legal shoots out a form letter and im just saying what i would do. so lets just leave it at i'm probably wrong about that but side scrolling would be nice as soon as possible ....

does anyone have code for side scrolling?

opt2not

Well you're not the only one with a family and a house, so I don't know why you're using that as an excuse to get someone to drop everything and give you what you want, before it is officially released. Just be patient. If you're truly that worried about being sued, you should probably not bother with NESmaker or any type of homebrew software development. There are plenty of hobbies that won't feed into your paranoia, maybe stick to crochet or something.

If not, please carefully read what MistSonata wrote , because what you're asking for isn't that easy to just drop-in and work.

digit2600

Nintendo can't do anything because there is no legal leg to stand on...not even the most crooked lawyers on the planet could find something illegal about nesMaker.

fearspork

you guys ... how old are you guys ? i feel like you're not actually reading what I'm writing and or have actually never dealt with a lawyer. if you've never been sued before , dont worry it will happen in your life time and it doesn't matter how frivolous the the claim is ,it will cost you thousands and thousands of $$$, ive been sued for a million dollars, i won but if i was old like i am now with a house that can be taken away at the end of the legal proceedings and a family that lives in that house i would have settled right away. its a pretty common practice to sue someone even with no legal standing and hope they run out of money and go out of business before the case is won or lost...

i already ended my last comment with i'm probably wrong

...can we talk about coding in the coding forum now

SuperNatetendo

They were talking about code - you aren't getting any. Just wait for an update.

You getting the scrolling code early won't change your perceived threat of C&D letters (which there is none).

Frankly your concern is a silly justification for getting ASM code for a 30 year old system for a hobby project made in one's free time.

stevenshepherd

No one does. Joe is working on it. In a video on the FB page, he demo'd scrolling in action, but it is buggy. It will take time, but he knows everyone wants scrolling and it will happen. This tool is still new. Joe has also said that if you are making your masterpiece vision of a game, you're doing it wrong, because this tool still can only do a fraction of what it will be able to do in the future. I would recommend thinking about your game, level design, character design, tiles, sprites, etc., and don't get too attach to it because we're still at the point where you might have to redo a bunch of it anyway.

Bucket Mouse

It doesn't look that buggy to me:
https://www.facebook.com/ItsDangerousToGoAloneTheMovie/videos/1449713311840259/

He also said everything that happens in this video is in the code already, it's just not rendered functional. You'd have to wire it up with ASM.....which to date no one has accomplished.
The problem is very few people here know enough of the language to make that happen. More people arrive every day; I hope one of them has the drive AND the knowledge to take it on at some point.

fearspork

yeah joe linked me to his explanation on Facebook , the code is already in there, it just doesn't work unless you can code, he also said we're weeks away , which means we probably wont get it with the next module. maybe by the last update in october

WolfMerrik

Wow, this post spiraled out of control quickly.

It was definitely interesting to see the link to the facebook video of the scrolling in action, I am very excited to see this! And a little bummed they didnt share haha.

briefs

A. Nintendo isn't going to be sending any cease and desist letters over NES Maker unless you decide to use it to create and distribute Super Mario Bros 4 Mario Harder.
B. there is no code for side scrolling, nobody is holding out on you it just doesn't exist at the moment. Though you are free to learn ASM yourself and make your own side scrolling if it's that urgent

opt2not

Joe also said he's going to delay the next tutorial and module release for some 'house cleaning' they need to do to make updating easier in the future. Instead, he's going to release a small primer video on ASM coding, so you might be able to learn enough to dig into scrolling yourself.

Top Bottom