HUD palette

stevenshepherd

Hmm, so I am a bit confused about the HUD palette. My understanding is that it uses what ever the second subpalette is of the player object. However, my HUD keeps changing color to whatever the 4th tile subpalette is for that screen. Obviously I am missing something but I am not sure what.

CutterCross

The HUD uses the 4th tile subpalette. Not sure where you got the idea that it uses the 2nd game object subpalette.

stevenshepherd

That is what I thought at first based on the results I was getting, but then I was confused because intuitively it made sense for it to be the second player palette, because like the player the HUD is constant through out out the game (rather than having to always have the same 4th screen tile palette devoted to just the HUD). One of our 4 screen palettes is a lot to take up just for the HUD, but I understand that I am sure there is a good reason for this. I'll have to plan my palettes better if I only have 3 and not 4 to vary between screens.

Also I was second guessing it based on the video. You can see that when Joe previews the HUD it is using the last screen tile palette. But then in game it is different colour (black, white, red hearts as opposed to purple, blue sword handle).

UPDATE:

In the video, the hearts and HUD and everything you saw when previewing it looked like it matched the 4th subpalette, with the hearts taking on a kind of purple colour. This appears to be just the default palettes that exists before you change stuff. I opened a new file just to be sure, and the default colour there is purple and it looks the same as what I have screen capped here. In game, the hearts look very much red. Then, when Joe shows the colours being drawn in the HUD using the debug menu in the emulator (At 1:15:20 in the adventure video), he gestures toward the second palette in the bottom row, which is the second player palette, but incidentally is also the same as the 4th screen palette. Also, now what I thought was purple in the 4th palette is very much red now. Very confused :S

I have attached some pics to show what I am talking about.

Attachments

• hud3.png
    hud3.png
    688.1 KB · Views: 2,165

stevenshepherd

Hmm watching the older HUD video for the beta, and yea it is a bit clearer in explaining that yes it uses the 4th screen palette. I think the confusion was just that the 4th subpalette was incidentally the same as the 2nd player one, and also the whole "NES colours look weird depending on your screen and will appear different in game" thing.

stevenshepherd

Just giving this a bump hoping someone might have some thoughts:

I have been wondering if there is a way to make it so that the HUD palette is just your second character palette and not the 4th screen tile subpalette. On the one hand, this COULD just be a simple matter of changing a line of code. Or, it could be impossible/a complete nightmare. Either seem possible haha! Any thoughts? I have tried digging around the GameEngineData folder etc but nothing is jumping out at me as an obvious place where it is saying that the HUD draws from one palette vs another.

Primkinkajou

stevenshepherd said:
Just giving this a bump hoping someone might have some thoughts:

I have been wondering if there is a way to make it so that the HUD palette is just your second character palette and not the 4th screen tile subpalette. On the one hand, this COULD just be a simple matter of changing a line of code. Or, it could be impossible/a complete nightmare. Either seem possible haha! Any thoughts? I have tried digging around the GameEngineData folder etc but nothing is jumping out at me as an obvious place where it is saying that the HUD draws from one palette vs another.
I know I'm really late on this, but if you have a sprite based hud (like in Megaman for example) then you could share the 2nd sprite palette with the hud. Because of the fact that the nes has 4 palettes for sprites and 4 palettes for tiles, there can be no sharing between the two. You could duplicate the palette of whatever your sprite is to your tile palette, but they cannot be the same one. To sum up, you can't because of a limitation of the nes, not nesmaker.

Top Bottom