Platformer Tutorial issues

Sack

So, still super new, going through the platformer tutorial and everything has been going pretty well, I've been doing everything to follow it as precisely as I can and mimic exactly what Joe is doing, but I had a few questions. Since I don't want to inundate Joe with questions, maybe a few of you have experienced this - I just created a carrot powerup, but for some reason, it still is showing as the same color palette than my character. I decided to make a purple rabbit/mouse guy, and in the carrot game object, make it look a proper orange/green, but it still pops out with the same pallet as my character. Not sure at all why.

Second, and I have no idea where this could be coming from - I'm using an Xbox One controller plugged in with FGEUX. Whenever I am testing my game, my character will move back and forth with no issues, but if I am holding right, then jump, my character will land and not resume heading right until I let go and then press right again. Checked input with many other NES games just to make sure it wasn't a weird input issue with the controller and the emulator, and all of those work without issue. I can try to go back through and watch the tutorial again to see if I missed something super tiny, but I didn't see anything, so I wasn't sure if there was something else I should be aware of, or if I'm just missing something super small in my input scripts.

Decided to continue on so I don't get stonewalled, and now I'm running into a new issue. I made some one-way blocks, but I can't jump through them. Wait, what? So, I actually CAN jump through them, but only if I hold the A button to jump, whereupon I hit the top collision of the brick which sends me back down, but holding A makes him jump again, and it will absolutely jump through during the second bounce. Weird. Any ideas at all? My coding ability is basically zero, so I wouldn't know where to look, but any suggestions at all would absolutely be appreciated. Thanks!

Gazimaluke

I had issues with the one way platform as well so I will follow this to see what can be done.
Not to high jack you thread. But I have an issue with holding a making the character run faster like in a Mario game. I haven't watch the whole tutorial so for all I know it might be a built in feature.

Sack

So, I found something interesting but nothing that resolved the issue with the jumping. I messed with my character's bounding box and adjusted it to be slightly lower (so he's floating one pixel above the ground), and that makes him jump through the platform with no problem. However, it looks bad, so I'd like to get that resolved when possible. The other thing is that I tried editing inputs for jumping, and found that I can basically infinitely jump until I hit the top of the screen. I haven't done anything to modify code, and that may just be part of the jump parameters until NES maker advances a bit, but just something to note.

Sack

Gazimaluke said:
I had issues with the one way platform as well so I will follow this to see what can be done.
Not to high jack you thread. But I have an issue with holding a making the character run faster like in a Mario game. I haven't watch the whole tutorial so for all I know it might be a built in feature.

Alright, so it looks like I know what happened (at least some resolution). I had adjusted my jump height to 5 from 6, and apparently that's too low to be able to jump through the block so something happened and collision is detected. I set it back to 6 and it looks like it works just fine, but ultimately, I want my jump to be smaller than what it's currently at, so I'm gonna have to look around to see what it is that can resolve this issue. Hope that helps for now, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any other reasonable solutions with a lower jump height!

Odd I set my jump height to 5 and can jump through platforms fine if they're no higher than 48 pixels (3 tiles high) above players bottom edge.
How big is your player character and its bounding box?

Sack

I'm following Joe's tutorial exactly, and my character and the tile are both 16x16. If I have jumps set to hold, he will jump endlessly, and hits his head on the first jump and then jumps through with no problem on the rebound. Since it's at 6, it's been fine, but when I do 5, he just doesn't go through. If I set the jump to press, and time it really carefully, I can mimic the bounce and have him jump through on the second bounce manually, but it's much harder to do. Weird.

Ah, the bounding box is set to 10 width, 14 height, leaving a single pixel around his entire body unbound.

Gazimaluke

Sack said:
Alright, so it looks like I know what happened (at least some resolution). I had adjusted my jump height to 5 from 6, and apparently that's too low to be able to jump through the block so something happened and collision is detected. I set it back to 6 and it looks like it works just fine, but ultimately, I want my jump to be smaller than what it's currently at, so I'm gonna have to look around to see what it is that can resolve this issue. Hope that helps for now, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any other reasonable solutions with a lower jump height!

The jump is supposed to be set to press isn't it? I also have jump set to 5 since 6 is way to high. But if you jump on the platform form the side the character jumps a bit higher so I don't really see why it wouldn't make it through. But then again I don't really know how the code works.

Sack

Gazimaluke said:
The jump is supposed to be set to press isn't it? I also have jump set to 5 since 6 is way to high. But if you jump on the platform form the side the character jumps a bit higher so I don't really see why it wouldn't make it through. But then again I don't really know how the code works.

Correct, I was trying multiple versions of jump to see what worked. When set to hold, the first jump wouldn't work, but the rebound bounce did. When I have it set to press, the jump doesn't work at all unless I time the second jump precisely upon landing, in which case that bounce will let me go through. I have absolutely no idea what it could be, and also don't know anything about the code, so it's rough. I'm gonna finish up the tutorial, then jump into making something else from scratch just for the sake of it, and try again to see if I just happened to mess with something else on accident.

warpedpipe

Sack said:
I just created a carrot powerup, but for some reason, it still is showing as the same color palette than my character. I decided to make a purple rabbit/mouse guy, and in the carrot game object, make it look a proper orange/green, but it still pops out with the same pallet as my character. Not sure at all why.

Im having the same pallet issue with game objects. No matter what, its always wanting to use the Player pallet. Any way to resolve this?

carrot.png

dale_coop

Staff member
All the game objects use the player’s palettes.

You can « just » set which subpalette number your game object will use (the subpal1 or the subpal2... of the player’s subpalettes).
So on your player’s object you should set a different subpalette for your SubPal2 than the one set for the the SubPal1.
And use, for example, the subpal2 for your game objects (As shown in the tutorial video).

warpedpipe

Thanks, I understand that concept now after playing around with the player palette. It wasn't clear that I had to choose a shared color palette between the character and objects.

In the same process I somehow messed up the connection between my game objects and my Level1 palette colors. It doesn't seem to be respecting the Sub palette selection. The overworld and map editor shows one palette and the runtime another. Im also seeing glitching in the block sprite.
Sketch1.png

dale_coop

Staff member
No, this problem is because you did not set correctly your HUD: needs to be 2 rows min for the HUD Area.

Change your hud area to 2 rows, the
Result will be accurate.

warpedpipe

dale_coop said:
No, this problem is because you did not set correctly your HUD: needs to be 2 rows min for the HUD Area.

Change your hud area to 2 rows, the
Result will be accurate.

You rock! Solved my problem. Thank you!

Top Bottom