Issues with User Variables and Hud Elements

Has anyone else experienced difficulty with this/ Understand what is going on?

In the Platformer module, if I attempt to change some of the user variables, or some of the HUD elements it starts causing random compilation errors.
EX: I set HUD ELEMENT 6 to any HUD ASSET and it makes my completely unrelated (Movement/fireprojectile) scripts mess up. I remove it and it works fine again.
It even caused vector.asm to not compile once, and I have not modified it at all.

Here is the error:
Code:
Routines\MyScripts\CreateProjectileDirectional.asm(209): Value out of range.
Routines\MyScripts\CreateProjectileDirectional.asm(223): Value out of range.
Routines\MyScripts\CreateProjectileDirectional.asm(239): Value out of range.

those lines specifically are references to this line: 'LDA directionTable,y'

The same happens with HUD ELEMENTS 7 and 8

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah it’s a known issue... memory issues, in fact.
If you use too much of them, you have not enough memory: errors at compilation.
You need to remove some variables from you HUD.
But I heard Joe made a lot of clean up in the code of the next version, we will have no more this kind of memory issues, I think.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry for asking about a known issue.

How portable is our current work to future versions? I have run into a lot of things I cannot fix myself that I think will be coming in a near update.

For example:
I have 3 different map tilesets completed. 2 Enemy tilesets, and the Gameobject tileset
I have probably about 20 graphic assets, 4 enemy assets, the player, player projectile, and health gameobjects.
I have a folder of my own custom scripts that I have written. I have only modified 2 of the module scripts.
The world is just for testing, not gonna be sad about losing its tile placement data
Not created any music yet.

I know I can just copy and paste the graphics folder.
I noticed import/export for assets and gameobjects but have not played with them yet.

How much of that can I save and it (should) be compatible with future versions?

dale_coop

Staff member
Great, I think 90% or more will be compatible.
You will copy your graphics folder, your scripts folder and your project file into the new NESMaker and ir will open and update some stuf if needed.

Don’t forget to keeps backup copy of your current NESMaker folder (just in case ;))
Ahah

Yea, I do like that new versions of Nesmaker do not install over old ones.

Request: Please keep that feature in the future. Even if the tool cannot be future-proofed, it will be really good to be able to download previous stable versions.

Sweet, glad to know my work isn't going to waste. As much trouble as I am having with collision and physics, I DO have a lot of stuff working :)

Top Bottom