Memory bank options.

Hey there!
During my time working with the platform module I have hit the memory limit for scripts, without adding much to speak of. While the module can be optimized to a certain level, that will only free up so much space.
I'm not exactly sure how the NES maker compiler works, but if I had to guess, it compiles the code in pieces and then puts them at certain addresses in the rom. These would be the graphics banks, etc.
Now, I have no idea if this would be possible, but in a theoretical "advanced mode" it would be great to choose which memory banks are used for what. For example, if you are making a game more about controls than varied graphics, you could sacrifice a graphics bank for code.
I'm not sure whether this would be possible, so sorry if it's a dumb suggestion. :p

chronosv2

Memory management is a planned feature, but it doesn't quite work that way.
Yes, you can dedicate a bank to do things with code, but while it's doing something with that code it can't do something in another bank. So making anything for the NES is an intricate web of bank switches for data retrieval and code execution.

Nice thing is, though, that in 4.1.0, coming soon, you'll have more static bank space for your custom features.

Top Bottom