Replace monster/game object palette split with generic 4 sprite palettes settable by screen.

darkhog

So you can have object look different (by the means of a palette swap) depending on which screen they are and could use more than 6 colors for game object sprites. Or do stuff like changing player palette so that when he goes to a wintery screen it looks like he wears a coat (again, via simple palette swap).

Basically so monsters/objects could use all 4 palettes where monster palettes would be settable by the screen, just like background palettes. This would allow for a greater flexibility and those who would want still use NM as they are now could just set first two (or last two, not sure how it's arranged) sprite palettes to constant thorough the game (on each screen).

SuperNatetendo

I'd also like this as there may be times where one might just want to use the player palette for a monster in order to free up a palette slot. :)

TheGeek

From looking at the export of everything, I think we have that limitation because of memory issues on a per screen basis. Joe would be the best person to ask about that though. Hitting him up on facebook is usually the quickest. Thanks!

chronosv2

Another (in my opinion good) reason why the sprite palettes are set up this way is to reduce the amount of potential confusion with palettes per screen. I've seen users run into confusion with palette entries split the way they are, and I can only imagine we'd see even more of that with all four palettes as a potential option. If anything I could see there being an "Advanced Mode" toggle but that would require either two separate versions of the drawing code or some conditional assembly. to utilize the appropriate functions. It'd also require twice the memory for the palette information. 64 16x16 monsters goes from needing 256 bits (32 bytes) to 512 bits (64 bytes). The more things the tool needs to be able to do the less specialized the memory usage has to be.

Top Bottom