Suggestion for a major release

Hello!
In some of the help threads, occasionally I come across someone saying how it is very possible, and easy, but it is hard to expose the front end of NesMaker.
To allow more flexibility, I would recommend giving the majority of menus XML support, In addition to some form of way to edit things adding more special screens, choosing how the background ppu is used on certain levels ECT.
By implementing XML, users could easily add in new functionality to NesMaker with little modification to the source code.
For example, if they wanted to add the ability to change the acceleration for an entity when they are in a given action, you could add that as something that is checked in the entity handling code, and then add in a slider for it with XML.
I have seen a good amount of tools use this technique to make their tool more modular.
Of course, this definitely does not have to be a priority, it just is a good insight.

Dirk

They are adding plugin support. I'm not sure, but I think you can achieve what you've described with it. It's written in C# though.

TheGeek

Yes! If you are a developer, you will really enjoy the support I added for plugins. This allows a user to create an interface and export code that NESMaker can consume. I posted a little about it on facebook, and made a tutorial video. Once we release 4.1 I'll repost all the details.

I personally would love to have the ability to "Skin" Nesmaker, as it would provide not only user customization,
but would allow a "Nightmode" to be possible for those of us who use Nesmaker at night.

chronosv2

I can confirm the plugin system is awesome to develop for. The system has the potential to make really powerful interfaces to ASM code.
I've already got a front-end designed for my sprite HUD. My plan is to refine it and do the final hookups within an hour or two when 4.1.0 comes out, so long as I have access to a development computer when that time comes.

As it stands the basic sprite HUD can be configured through the NESMaker tool itself. You'll have to get row/column numbers of the first sprite you want to use but it's a heck of a lot better than digging in the ASM code manually!

TheGeek

Skinning it might be a little tedious, but I like that. I know that folks have simulated a night mode already by setting windows to a high contrast mode. Based on the release time frame I don't think I can get the whole thing skinned before the release, but I bet it can come very soon after. I'm adding it to my TODO list right now. Thanks!

TheGeek said:
Skinning it might be a little tedious, but I like that. I know that folks have simulated a night mode already by setting windows to a high contrast mode. Based on the release time frame I don't think I can get the whole thing skinned before the release, but I bet it can come very soon after. I'm adding it to my TODO list right now. Thanks!

Thanks Josh, hopefully I'll be making a Nesmaker skin themed after my game soon! :)

dale_coop

Staff member
chronosv2 said:
I can confirm the plugin system is awesome to develop for. The system has the potential to make really powerful interfaces to ASM code.
I've already got a front-end designed for my sprite HUD. My plan is to refine it and do the final hookups within an hour or two when 4.1.0 comes out, so long as I have access to a development computer when that time comes.

As it stands the basic sprite HUD can be configured through the NESMaker tool itself. You'll have to get row/column numbers of the first sprite you want to use but it's a heck of a lot better than digging in the ASM code manually!

Nice! IT will be fun to play with the plugin system.

TheGeek said:

I'm curious, would adding support for skinning involve making the GUI an "editable image"?

dale_coop

Staff member
Please, consider to make it multi-languages (external .lng or .ini files)

I'd love to use it in french:

2018-12-08-22-45-39-NES-MAKER-4-0-1-Version-0x151-Unsaved-Project-FR.png

Top Bottom