Emulator Source?

Hey!
So I'm part way through making a game and when it's done, I plan to distribute it to some friends on sd cards. I wanted the game to just be in a click to run exe kinda thing, and I figured the emulator would be a pretty good way to get that taken care of. Problem is, the only thing you can really change about the emulator is by opening it up in a hex editor and searching for "Mystic" you can modify the config dialogue. Not all that much, and it's pretty finicky as far as how many characters and what characters you can use (EX you have x number of characters and no more, and if you need less, you have to fill the remaining space in it with " "(Spaces) instead of "..").
Even when hex editing the emulator directly, what you can do is pretty limited. You cant change the name of the window, ECT. It would be great to be able to modify these things, and I was wondering if the source code could be shared. Although, I understand if this isn't a possibility, IIRC in one of the tutorial videos they said the emulator was made by a friend or something along those lines.
Thanks!

chronosv2

As I understand it, the emulator included with NESMaker is specifically for spot-checking and is not licensed for distribution by us, the end users. And even then it's much better to test using FCEUX or Mesen.
In order to distribute your game using an emulator you'll need to use an open-source one or find something external you can license for that purpose.

I'm not sure how useful the good ol' autorun.inf method is for auto-launching software on Windows 7-10, but maybe that's a possible solution?

chronosv2 said:
As I understand it, the emulator included with NESMaker is specifically for spot-checking and is not licensed for distribution by us, the end users. And even then it's much better to test using FCEUX or Mesen.
In order to distribute your game using an emulator you'll need to use an open-source one or find something external you can license for that purpose.

I'm not sure how useful the good ol' autorun.inf method is for auto-launching software on Windows 7-10, but maybe that's a possible solution?
Ah, OOF. Guess I'll have to find an open source one with mapper (was it 20 or 30?), Then modify it.
And lol, I've never had autorun.inf work on my win 10 machine... only 7. Auto-launching isn't really the issue, I just was looking for a way to hide the actual rom and emulator from the front end. I wanted it to look like a windows standalone game instead of a NES game playing in an emulator to any user who just boots it up.

dale_coop

Staff member
For the “mysticSearches” emulator, if you want to redistribute it modify it, you should ask permission to Shiru (the famous NES tools creator)... if I remember well, he made this version specially for Joe.

dale_coop said:
For the “mysticSearches” emulator, if you want to redistribute it modify it, you should ask permission to Shiru (the famous NES tools creator)... if I remember well, he made this version specially for Joe.
Will do, that or find an open source one. Modifying it in hex was mostly just a temporary experiment.

dale_coop said:

How would we contact shiru?
I would also like to do this.

dale_coop

Staff member
You can contact him from here:
https://shiru.untergrund.net/articles/programming_nes_games_in_c.htm

Top Bottom