Some suggestions

LordFred

Hello,

First of all, i would like to sorry for my english... ^^ Second, i don't know if someone has suggested the same things... if so, sorry in advance ( I always talk for platform module ):

* The possibility to setup in each screen the neighbour screens to go in up, down, left and right ( in under and overworld ).
* The possibility to setup the in each tile of a giving screen the paint orden ( i don't know if this is possible... maybe not ). So, you can have for example a tree that is painted in front of the player.
* I know that there are an error in landing in the grown with the player. The animation for landing occurs two times...
* The possibility to use a player palette in the monsters...
* The possibility to have different speeds and acceleration for each action ( this could be cool to have for example the player in water with different acceleration... )

Thanks for this great great tool!!

chronosv2

These are some interesting suggestions. I've got some input on a few of them that I'd like to add.

* The possibility to setup in each screen the neighbour screens to go in up, down, left and right ( in under and overworld ).
This would be cool but would require a lot of data space. Each screen has 4 exits, each screen position is 1 byte (8 bits for X coordinate, 8 bits for Y), so 512 x 4 = 2048 bytes, or 2KB of exit data. It should be possible but that might have to be a user created feature, and this definitely wouldn't work with any kind of scrolling.

* The possibility to setup the in each tile of a giving screen the paint orden ( i don't know if this is possible... maybe not ). So, you can have for example a tree that is painted in front of the player.
Unfortunately paint order isn't possible unless you use sprites or a special sprite flag that requires ASM to work with. See http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=3277#p3277 for more info.

* I know that there are an error in landing in the grown with the player. The animation for landing occurs two times...
This might be fixed in 4.1.0.

* The possibility to use a player palette in the monsters...
Unbinding the sprite palettes for specific things so you could pick which sprite palette of the 4 your sprite uses could be nice. The only problem is that the user would need to make sure they remember what palette they need for each monster.

* The possibility to have different speeds and acceleration for each action ( this could be cool to have for example the player in water with different acceleration... )
The best we're going to get for this is replacing the player object with another object (this can already be done in ASM). Each object takes up a decent amount of space already. 2 more bytes per action step doesn't sound like a lot but 8 actions = 16 bytes, and then every object or monster... it'd get really big.

Thank you for the input! I keep an eye on things people request and take notes on things I'd find interesting to create. I might have to take a look into the exits thing myself once we know more about how data is stored in version 4.1.0.

LordFred

Hi Again!

"This would be cool but would require a lot of data space. Each screen has 4 exits, each screen position is 1 byte (8 bits for X coordinate, 8 bits for Y), so 512 x 4 = 2048 bytes, or 2KB of exit data. It should be possible but that might have to be a user created feature, and this definitely wouldn't work with any kind of scrolling."

You are right. I always forgot that we are playing with ASM... and all what this means in terms of space in memory!... Now what we have to do is coding the exits by hand into the code, because when we walk to the right in the last screen we dont' want to go to the first screen again... in platform games it doesn't work this way!... ^^ Maybe the program could make the "adc 1" as it is working right now except when we indicate in the engine for that screen the neighbour screens.

"Unfortunately paint order isn't possible unless you use sprites or a special sprite flag that requires ASM to work with. See viewtopic.php?p=3277#p3277 for more info."

thanks! i saw that post!... a shame that it can't be possible!...

"Unbinding the sprite palettes for specific things so you could pick which sprite palette of the 4 your sprite uses could be nice. The only problem is that the user would need to make sure they remember what palette they need for each monster."

Yes.

"The best we're going to get for this is replacing the player object with another object (this can already be done in ASM). Each object takes up a decent amount of space already. 2 more bytes per action step doesn't sound like a lot but 8 actions = 16 bytes, and then every object or monster... it'd get really big."

the problem is if i use another object and i create it at code level, I'm losing an object in the enine!!... ^^P I would like to use an action step instead because we don't have too much objects to use!... That's why i ask for change for each action step the acceleration and speed...

Thank you for your reply!!

chronosv2

As for the action step speed/acceleration, I'm sure special cases could be written in ASM, but I can't say I have any idea how it would be done yet.

As for screen exits, the way it works at the moment (4.0.11) is that if you walk to the right the code adds $01 to the screen number. If you move left it subtracts $01. If you move Down it adds $10 (16). If you go up it subtracts $10 (16).
I do think custom exits would be cool at some point, though. I've actually come up with some ideas in the past that could use this function myself!

Top Bottom