Index Screens Management

cargo

spam bots yandex
For your consideration:

Right now there's no way to effectively manage index screen values. Eventually a user will use too many indexes to keep track of or forget about which are in use. Going index hunting by clicking screen after screen gets old fast.

It would be useful to have a Screens Index Management panel accessible somewhere as a menu element. Let users quickly see all the indexes in use and the screens they are tied to (and in one place). Give the ability to free an index without having to dig for the related screen on the over/under maps. If offered as a list control then allow the user to open the associated screen from a right click context menu or double click on the list entry. Similarly this dialog window could allow users to add or remove screens tied to a certain index instead of going to the screen in question.

If done with a list, tree branch or multi-column control it doesn't necessarily has to list all the indexes (although I can see how that would be difficult to do depending on the interface control used). For example it could only show those that are in use along with the screens they are tied to. A window like this would save users a lot of work.

I also agree with this, due to some gameplay mechanics of my game I really rack up screen types fast.
It'd be nice to know before hand what's used, as opposed to
my usual tactic of typing a random number for the screen type. :lol:

Thanks -Red

cargo

spam bots yandex
On that thought it would be nice if NESMaker would validate the Screen Index value on OK button press in the Screen Info panel (the current existing one --- not the one I just proposed). Show a modal pop up window with a message in the case the index is found to be already in use. For example:

modal-example01.jpg

chronosv2

I feel like a modal message box is awfully intrusive. Perhaps add an icon somewhere that changes based on whether the number is in use on another screen or not. There are legitimate cases where a bunch of screens would share the same type index -- for example, a village before and after you've defeated the monster threatening it. If something like that were implemented I feel like it would have to be a toggle in the project settings or something like that, so people that don't want it don't have to have it.

dale_coop

Staff member
Something simple, just show the Screen Type number over the screens in the overworld/underworld.

2018-12-11-20-57-57-NES-MAKER-4-0-434-Version-0x158-Unsaved-Project.png

cargo

spam bots yandex
I think we can all agree that a visual aid to help track down tagged screens on the map would be useful. I just hope the guy who is in charge takes it under consideration.

Going back to my original topic I still think an Index Management Panel would be very useful. It would give users a lot of flexibility and control.

cargo said:
I think we can all agree that a visual aid to help track down tagged screens on the map would be useful. I just hope the guy who is in charge takes it under consideration.

Going back to my original topic I still think an Index Management Panel would be very useful. It would give users a lot of flexibility and control.

I second this, I'd love some sort of visual aid to say "hey dummy this screen trigger is used already, is that what you want?".

Top Bottom