NESColorDialog improvement suggestion

FrankenGraphics

When hovering over a colour, i'd suggest to let the hexadecimal index show in the title of the window like so:

NESCD.png
(sorry for the hasty mockup)

dale_coop

Staff member
The new version, NESMaker 4.1 released today, the color picker is now like this:
2019-01-03-21-01-29-Color-Picker.png

FrankenGraphics

The download doesn't seem to work properly at this time (is it the same for you?) but i'll be sure to check by later. Thanks again!

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah Joe and Josh are trying to fix some bugs and issues in NESMaker 4.1
And then they will upload a new 4.1 zip

darkhog

I think it could be improved even further with color name tooltips (as the following color list would need to be scrolled through), the current only shows basic colors where as shades are important to account for as well because some color blind people can't distinguish similar shades. And so:
00 Dark grey
01 Dark Blue
02 Indigo
03 Violet
04 Dark lavender
05 Dark Magenta
06 Dark red
08 Dark brows
09 Dark Olive
0A Dark Green
0B Dark Teal
0C Dark Cyan
0F Black
10 Light Grey
11 Morning sky Blue
12 Sky Blue
13 Medium Lavender
14 Light Lavender
15 Medium Magenta
16 Blood Red
17 Medium Orange
18 Medium Brown
19 Grassy Olive
1A Vivid Green
1B Seafom Teal
1C Sea Blue
20 Very Light grey
21 Vivid Sky Blue
22 Evening Sky Blue
23 Light Violet
24 Pinkish Violet
25 Pinkish Magenta
26 Pink
27 Light Orange
28 Yellow
29 Vivid Grass Green
2A Seaweed Green
2B Win95 desktop color (sorry, couldn't find any other unique name for this, try coming up with a better one!)
2C Light Sky Blue
30 White
31 Washed Blue
32 Washed Indigo
33 Washed violet
34 Washed Lavender
35 Fair skin Tone
36 Medium Skin Tone
37 Asian Skin Tone
38 Washed Brown
39 Washed Olive
3A Washed Green
3B Washed Teal
3C Washed Cyan

FrankenGraphics

That might be good for communication. Some years ago, tepples suggested a naming standard to ease communication between artists and programmers. It simplifies colour names by giving names to brightness levels and hues, and then combine them. It is listed under color names in this article.
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_palettes

Reversely, combinatory names like "pale cyan" then becomes instantly and easily decodable as "hue column of C, brightness of 3", and so on, since the naming convention is consistent on the brightness axis. The exceptions are the grayscale colours, but nothing can really be done about that.

I think i'd prefer avoiding descriptive naming such as "morning sky blue", which to me might act limiting towards my imagination on how it can be used (though - i decide palette choices in NESST anyway). Besides, some of the blue colours vary more wildly depending on viewing environment than the other colours - you can't trust them to stay the same. I'd also stay clear from stereotyping colours you could use for skin, especially as skintones vary just as much in asia as any other place.

If names are implemented, i'd still put them instantly viewable in the title or in a separate printout below, so you don't have to wait for a tooltip to appear - plus the tooltip may be intrusive to viewing the master palette.

Top Bottom