DCPM Samples in imported music

Lucio

I know this is a bit of an obvious one, and it might be pretty short, but no one else has said it. DCPM samples would be extremely useful for the kinds of games I want to make, and support for it probably will a universally appreciated feature.

Dunno what else to say... samples, they're like sprinkles on doughnuts.

chronosv2

Unfortunately DPCM Sample support would require a rewrite of a lot of the underlying code. DPCM samples require additional resources and processing to work, which in its current state is beyond what the NESMaker underlying ASM can support. At some point a community member might write in support but as concessions had to be made for general support under the most circumstances, which makes fitting in DPCM support difficult.
(Though all of this is as I understand it, and I certainly don't speak for The New 8-Bit Heroes team)

MistSonata

The biggest concern with DCPM samples is that it can corrupt input. I believe a workaround was being worked on by Kasumi, but I think how much space it takes up was also an issue.

Kasumi

To be really brief, the issues here are in the NES Maker music import/NES Maker exe side. (Well, there's one tiny problem in the code itself.) The issue is that adding this functionality to NES Maker manually means fighting against the tool.

Edit: Eh, I'm nuking the post, it was too long/ranty. I'll say I think it's unlikely a community member will do this, there's too much about the tool that gets in the way. I'd only do it if I were met halfway officially. There's playback code for DPCM in every NES Maker ROM already, it's just the built in importer doesn't deal with it. (GGSound's actual importer does.) Because of how much the importer is hooked into other parts of the engine/GUI, it's a lot of work that has be updated each time NES Maker is without official support.

Top Bottom