The possibility of having Bounding Boxes related to Action Steps

dale_coop

Staff member
Something that you would be useful would be to have the "Bounding Box" related to the "Action Steps", in the tool NESMaker ?

BoundingBoxes.png

Then, when the player is jumping or when he's lying on the floor or rolling like a ball ;) or... the Player's colissions could be differents? (avoid ennemy's projectiles, access som places he couldn't before,...)

I don't know if it's possible to make in the tool, or in the engine (it should take too much space, maybe?).

WolfMerrik

I indeed would like this and second this.

Would it help reduce the size to have bounding boxes created separately that are then assigned to objects, that way some monsters could share the same box sizes and players could reuse them? (if that makes any lick of sense)

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
The problem here is memory. That's varied heights and widths and bbox definitions for 8 steps for all the monsters...you're going to run out of bytes VERY quickly.

However, there are other ways to get around this problem for clever coders. Multiple collision detection routines, for instance, that check various parts depending on an arbitrary bit flip or variable (set up 6 collision points...only check the bottom 4 if *ducking*, etc).

We'll likely show this in a future tutorial.

Thanks!

dale_coop

Staff member
Ahah, yeah... I knew.... Memory is our enemy here ;)
But you right, it could be done in the script, for that special need.

Thank you, Joe.

WolfMerrik

TheNew8bitHeroes said:
Multiple collision detection routines, for instance, that check various parts depending on an arbitrary bit flip or variable (set up 6 collision points...only check the bottom 4 if *ducking*, etc).

This gives me an interesting idea. If 6 points could be used, with additional ones in the middle, we could split the player's collision into two parts. Even add, dare I say, "headshots" against the player that does more damage if they hit the top4 (in a non-ducking state of course).

This is a smart way to look at this, thank you!

Top Bottom