Few suggestions regarding pixel editor

darkhog

- Flood fill tool, like in average graphics program
- Oval/Ellipse tool
- Setting for rectangle/oval tool to draw just border
- Improvement to the pencil tool. When you draw very fast it just drops disconnected pixels. To fix that, you need to draw a line between last mouse position and new one while drawing instead of just putting out a pixel. The issue is even showcased in the tutorial video when Joe drew a "rose".

TheGeek

Right on. I copied all of your suggestions to my Things To Add list. So, for the Oval tool, I like that. There is a little trickiness about the pixelization, but nothing too tough. The bordering option I like too, but I get stuck with how to convey that option to the user. Finally, the "Rose" suggestion, My thought is that if you are drawing in a 16x16 box with 4 colors, you aren't going to be going so fast. :) It really wouldn't be tough to add that option to the pencil, but I feel like I'm running out of space for the toolbar. Ha! I'll see what I can cook up. :)

--Josh

darkhog

TheGeek said:
Right on. I copied all of your suggestions to my Things To Add list. So, for the Oval tool, I like that. There is a little trickiness about the pixelization, but nothing too tough. The bordering option I like too, but I get stuck with how to convey that option to the user. Finally, the "Rose" suggestion, My thought is that if you are drawing in a 16x16 box with 4 colors, you aren't going to be going so fast. :) It really wouldn't be tough to add that option to the pencil, but I feel like I'm running out of space for the toolbar. Ha! I'll see what I can cook up. :)

--Josh

It doesn't need to be an option for the pencil thing - it can safely replace the current code and user wouldn't see the difference. As for border rectangle/oval, how about a checkbox "borders only"?

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
Josh - what about if you HOLD a menu option, there are options? Like...the rectangle, where you can have a filled or empty rectangle, it's set as full by default, but has a little plus or corner or something to denote there are other options. If you HOLD down the tool, the other options come up...then when you click you have the multiple options for that tool?

OR, right click and drag with box tool = border only rectangle with no full?

Just some thoughts.

Vay

To piggyback on the Pixel Editor suggestions topic, a couple more I was writing down as I was working:

- Since we now have a 8x8/16x16 tile selector tool, what about being able to select a tile, hitting Delete, and it fills that tile with the transparent color from the palette.
- Scrollbars can crash NESmaker. Open a large image, zoom in a bit, scroll down, then immediately open a much smaller image. Image won't appear as it's off-screen. Use the scroll wheel and it crashes. I think scrollbar values need to be set to 0 when opening a new image.
- I know this one would require a lot of work, but what about tabs on the pixel editor? Right now I'm opening up two or three instances of NESmaker when copying and moving tilesets around.

Top Bottom