Suggestion: Asset Subfolders

TurtleRescueNES

When you start creating a lot of assets, the current tree structure gets burdened with a lot of assets. I try to give a logical name to my assets, but ultimately, they are ordered by their creation. It would be nice to be able to order them alphabetically, or better yet, place them in subfolders of our choosing. I would think having subfolders based on tilesets would make the most sense, but maybe the end user has a reason to organize their assets otherwise.

The same idea would also come in handy with monsters.

Just my two cents! :)

Mihoshi20

jsherman said:
When you start creating a lot of assets, the current tree structure gets burdened with a lot of assets. I try to give a logical name to my assets, but ultimately, they are ordered by their creation. It would be nice to be able to order them alphabetically, or better yet, place them in subfolders of our choosing. I would think having subfolders based on tilesets would make the most sense, but maybe the end user has a reason to organize their assets otherwise.

The same idea would also come in handy with monsters.

Just my two cents! :)

A bit back I made a suggestion for a completely reorganized hierarchy tree structure and did a mock-up of it before the new icons were added. Curious as to what you think of its layout. http://www.nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=260&p=1547#p1547

But yes, like what game maker studio allows is for one to make their own subfolders inside category folders to better organize and separate say for example level assets and the like.

TurtleRescueNES

I'm wondering if a better way to approach this is instead of displaying icons for each tile and monster asset in the tree, display them as icons in the working window, similar to viewing files in Windows file explorer. Then you could sort by name, date, or bank. Assuming that's even possible in the first place.

Mihoshi20

jsherman said:
I'm wondering if a better way to approach this is instead of displaying icons for each tile and monster asset in the tree, display them as icons in the working window, similar to viewing files in Windows file explorer. Then you could sort by name, date, or bank. Assuming that's even possible in the first place.

If not really sure how much difference that would make, as you're then just clicking in the main dialog instead of the tree and you'd also have to do this for the other graphical assets too. Is the issue that the items in the main tree are too small?

Top Bottom