Tooltips for colors

Tuxosaurus

Hey, I've just started my first project, starting with graphic assets and I stumble upon a small problem: choosing the right colors in a palette.
I'm colorblind - the type that can have problems with red/green/yellow. So I'm double checking with an external color picker but it'd be great to have color information somewhere in the dialog.

Mihoshi20

Tuxosaurus said:
Hey, I've just started my first project, starting with graphic assets and I stumble upon a small problem: choosing the right colors in a palette.
I'm colorblind - the type that can have problems with red/green/yellow. So I'm double checking with an external color picker but it'd be great to have color information somewhere in the dialog.

Really what I'd love to have more then anything is for the palette picker to include the hex values as I have to count spaces over to spaces down to color match with other palettes, with the hex value chart all I have to remember is the number. The actual colors don't matter so much as it's trial and error since they differ from emulator to emulator and real hardware to emulator. Though I can see how it would be twice as frustrating for someone whose colorblind to then also try and color match. Event then, names for the colors there is no standard for and is often debated what the colors should be named.

Savtool-swatches.png

TheGeek

Hey guys! I felt pretty bad about folks that are color blind having to guess at the hex values that they are putting in for colors. I also had a little extra time this Labor Day weekend , So I dropped that feature in.

NESColorDialog.JPG

Thanks!
--Josh

Mihoshi20

TheGeek said:
Hey guys! I felt pretty bad about folks that are color blind having to guess at the hex values that they are putting in for colors. I also had a little extra time this Labor Day weekend , So I dropped that feature in.

NESColorDialog.JPG

Thanks!
--Josh

I love this makes at least me happy to no end as I've wanted this type of chart since the early betas. Big thumbs up from me for including the hex values on the chart. Going to make color matching between palettes so less tedious. :D Not sure how much it'll help those who are color blind knowing which color is what since they can't easily differentiate between some colors, but it will help with making a chart for them naming the colors and knowing which hex value means which name.

Mihoshi20

Now that we have HEX values this from the NESDEV Wiki will be very useful fro colorblind users. It's not a tooltip that shows up when hovering over colors, but should still be useful.

Code:
Color names

When programmers and artists are communicating, it's often useful to have human-readable names for colors. Many graphic designers who have done web or game work will be familiar with HTML color names.
Luma

$0F: Black
    $00: Dark gray
    $10: Light gray or silver
    $20: White
    $01-$0C: Dark colors, medium mixed with black
    $11-$1C: Medium colors, similar brightness to dark gray
    $21-$2C: Light colors, similar brightness to light gray
    $31-$3C: Pale colors, light mixed with white

Chroma

Names for hues:

$x0: Gray
    $x2: Blue
    $x4: Magenta
    $x6: Red
    $x7: Orange
    $x8: Yellow or olive
    $xA: Green
    $xC: Cyan

RGBI

These NES colors approximate colors in 16-color RGBI palettes, such as the CGA, EGA, or classic Windows palette, though the NES doesn't really have a good yellow:

$02: Navy
    $06: Maroon
    $12: Blue
    $14: Purple
    $16: Red
    $17: Brown
    $18: Olive
    $1A: Green
    $1C: Aqua
    $24: Fuchsia/Magenta
    $2A: Lime
    $2C: Teal

RadJunk

Administrator
Staff member
You COULD even make your own CONSTANTS for these colors...like this (in the constants file):

Code:
COLOR_BLACK = #$0F
COLOR_WHITE = #$20

And then to call them, instead of having to remember numbers, you could just:

Code:
LDA #COLOR_BLACK

TheGeek said:

NESColorDialog.JPG

Thanks!
--Josh

Thank you for adding this in,
I had the darndest of times trying to find orange a few weeks back...

Top Bottom