an into to NESmaker .asm

Rob Burrito

i know there's a few basic .asm tutorials out there. i've done a handful, and started to understand some concepts of how asm/hex/binary works and the hardware limitations of the NES. i still have a limited knowledge of how to apply any of it to be useful within the tool. through some of the nesmaker videos it's been great to see the asm explained with fixing things and writing the basics/finding bugs within the tool. i think it might be of a major benefit to get a few more folks who are currently inexperienced, but willing to learn and write some basic functionality codes out there in front of some tutorials. to dive deeper into how the tool functions line by line as a certain function gets written would be helpful. some exercises writing different realms of the game from scratch would be useful. there's comments in the code which can be helpful if you already know what you are doing, but so far it's only gotten me to, "ok i found where i want to be, and know my logic for what should happen, but have no idea how to make this do what i need." i've seen dale help a few folks out, and of course others have done some great code additions already. very valuable to folks who dont know and dont wanna know code haha. a tutorial that could get a few more folks to that level to write new things and help would ease a few questions and get some more useful code out there in the early stages.

as mentioned i've done a few tutorials folks listed in the fb group and in comments, but feel free to post helpful ones in case i missed any

Rob Burrito

like the follow up to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp3LMHF9DZc definitely a great video on explaining the basics, with that and a few other tutorials (like https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/ i was able to go from no idea wtf was going on, to at least knowing what i was looking at. how to make the identifiable info functional, or create unique routines has been the challenging part from there.

suggesting a follow up that goes into how the nes/nesmaker uses branching, subroutines, indexing etc. to make use of the data in a few scenarios. might not need as high of a production value, but it helps! beyond that one for walking through debugging and finding errors would be on the wishlist

Top Bottom