Tile flipping for assets

I'm making several tiles that are mirrored versions of each other, and it got me thinking...
Being able to flip tiles like in the monster editor would be much more efficient for asset creation.

Mihoshi20

Redherring32 said:
I'm making several tiles that are mirrored versions of each other, and it got me thinking...
Being able to flip tiles like in the monster editor would be much more efficient for asset creation.

Flipping in the Monster/GameObject editor works because of the NES' hardware sprite flipping feature. This doesn't exist for tiles as screen tile flipping isn't hardware supported. To create a flipped tile it must be a duplicated tile in the pixel editor that is then mirrored.

That being said, I'd love to have a feature in the pixel editor to flip/mirror/rotate tiles that are selected and also have a swap color feature added that only swaps colors for selected tiles instead of globally as it does right now.

chronosv2

Unfortunately that's not possible. The NES hardware cannot flip background tiles.
I direct you to this post by Kasumi, that explains it in a really cool image:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=599#p599

chronosv2

Mihoshi20 said:
Flipping in the Monster/GameObject editor works because of the NES' hardware sprite flipping feature. This doesn't exist for tiles as screen tile flipping isn't hardware supported. To create a flipped tile it must be a duplicated tile in the pixel editor that is then mirrored.

That being said, I'd love to have a feature in the pixel editor to flip/mirror/rotate tiles that are selected and also have a swap color feature added that only swaps colors for selected tiles instead of globally as it does right now.

Beat me to the punch. Doing that stuff in the pixel editor would be cool but I think it would be complicated to pull off.
As for tile recolor, I've actually already been using that in the tool.

chronosv2 said:
Unfortunately that's not possible. The NES hardware cannot flip background tiles.
I direct you to this post by Kasumi, that explains it in a really cool image:
http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?p=599#p599
I read kasumi's article on nes limitations right after posting this. :lol:

stevenshepherd

To make a flipped copy of a tile in the pixel editor, select the tile and press h or v to flip horizontally or vertically.

Also, if you find yourself taking up lots of tiles with flipped or rotated versions of the same one, it might be a good candidate for a path

chronosv2

stevenshepherd said:
To make a flipped copy of a tile in the pixel editor, select the tile and press h or v to flip horizontally or vertically.

Also, if you find yourself taking up lots of tiles with flipped or rotated versions of the same one, it might be a good candidate for a path

I completely forgot you could use H and V!
As for paths, I need to go watch the video for that. In the showcase ROM I created I could easily free up 12 tiles by using paths.

Holmfry

Oh how I wish I'd seen this closer to the start of my project! I know this is years later since you posted this but thank you so much! I had no idea this was an option :)

Top Bottom