Dropping bombs like in Zelda possible?

I'm creating a bomberman inspired game which my game has the Zelda like bomb physics and I'm wondering how I can mimic the effect of the Bomberman bombs and it's blasts and it can be extended using a powerup tile to extend the blast.

As I know it's not wise to make a game that looks and plays like Bomberman I just wanna create a test game to mimic this in case someone needs a game that requires the zelda/bomberman like bombs physics.

iridium_ionizer

Scythe&GenGames said:
As I know it's not wise to make a game that looks and plays like Bomberman I just wanna create a test game to mimic this in case someone needs a game that requires the zelda/bomberman like bombs physics.

Names and characters can be trademarked; art, music, and code can be copyrighted; but gameplay style by itself can be neither trademarked nor copyrighted.

Just make sure your art is different and you don't use the name "Bomberman" or anything like it in the actual game or promotional materials, and you should be good. Still it's always good to give old styles of gameplay a new twist.

dale_coop

Staff member
Please can we stop doing that on the forum?!
...this trademarks, copyrights, witch hunt is childish or trolling.

Scythe&GenGame does’t want to remake Zelda nor Bomberman. He just want to make bombs for his game.
And uses these references to explain what kind of bombs.

And sorry Scythe, I wanted to reply earlier, but I don’t know precisely how do that. Use an object that your player would drop (like a projectile, with no speed). It would not hurt monsters (maybe a non player/playerWeapon object), then would turn in a PlayerWeapon when the explose animations end (on a timer/ on an action step)?

Looking at Bomberman 2 on NES it has big explosions but no flicker, so probably using tiles instead of sprites.
If you want 4 way big explosions you'll need to do some ASM that changes the tiles around the bomb sprite on explosion and then swaps tile back to original after.
Possible, but not easy.

dale_coop said:

Scythe&GenGame does’t want to remake Zelda nor Bomberman. He just want to make bombs for his game.
And uses these references to explain what kind of bombs.

And sorry Scythe, I wanted to reply earlier, but I don’t know precisely how do that. Use an object that your player would drop (like a projectile, with no speed). It would not hurt monsters (maybe a non player/playerWeapon object), then would turn in a PlayerWeapon when the explose animations end (on a timer/ on an action step)?

It's okay as most people claim I'm making a remake of Zelda or Bomberman which I'm not - I just need to use the bomb physics as a weapon XD, you can use my internet name of Alexander. that can work and I'll release betas as a form of roms to insure I have it working and stuff.

UltraNarwhal said:
Looking at Bomberman 2 on NES it has big explosions but no flicker, so probably using tiles instead of sprites.
If you want 4 way big explosions you'll need to do some ASM that changes the tiles around the bomb sprite on explosion and then swaps tile back to original after.
Possible, but not easy.

What kind of changes? I can make a copy of the needed script and add in my user scripts folder - this is just a test of a engine I'm doing - I'll need the scripts I have to modify and stuff

No changes, you'll have to write your own ASM from scratch. So easier solution for now is to see if there's a script for spawning multiple bullets at once, so when bomb explodes it creates shockwave bullets (up,left,right,down) like duck does in below video (left,right).
https://youtu.be/7z8nrDM2Bgc?t=3m20s

Only issue I dont' know how to start doing some asm coding I could use FCEUX to debug Bomberman 1 to see how it made to make the bomb explode and send a wave of the blast in four directions. - I never had a chance to learn 6502 ASM and do it that way. As I'm into C and use that for SGDK in the future.

Has this thread made it any further, I would like to be able to drop a Granada in my game and have it set to a timed explosion. What type of ASM is need to be done to accomplish this action ?

Has this thread made it any further, I would like to be able to drop a Granada in my game and have it set to a timed explosion. What type of ASM is need to be done to accomplish this action ?

TurtleRescueNES

Dale's response earlier is how I would approach it. Have a bomb object that has zero effect or movement. Just a timer. When the timer goes off, destroy itself, and replace it with an "explosion" object. That would have the properties of an attack (maybe even a monster attack to also hurt the player?) Then destroy itself after a short burst.

I know it's not actual code, but that's the logic I think would work. I imagine that shouldn't be terribly hard. Hardest part is determining the location of the un-exploded bomb so that you can render the explosion in the same coordinates.

vanderblade

dale_coop said:

I just wanted to support Dale's comment here. I am making an adventure game set in the world of M.U.L.E, an obscure economics simulator board game that was ported to the NES. I have a group of friends who play a tournament of this game every year on the NES , and I'm making a special adventure game for us to enjoy as a side amusement during the tournament. I'm doing all my own art and design, based on and expanding existing characters to achieve my own unique aesthetic, story, and scenario. NESMaker is about creativity.

Copyright should only matter if you're attempting to sell your game for profit.

Top Bottom