Melee issues

Here is the link to the wedNESday tutorial for making an Adventure game. Done something cool with it? Modified it in some way? Want to ask the community about creating additional features for it? Post things Adventure Module here!
theDarkLordSagan

Melee issues

Post by theDarkLordSagan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 am

Hey all,

Been trying to work my way through the adventure tutorial and I'm having some major issues getting melee working. I have my b_creates_melee script mapped to my inputs, and a_creates_projectile. I can only get the a button presses to make my melee sprite appear, and the b button presses make some other sprite appear, a part of my player's head. I suspect it may be this way because in the tutorial video, he imports melee_H to the projectile source, which is why the sprite would appear when I press a and not b, but if that was truly the issue I think I would be able to see the sprite in the other direction when I pressed the b button. Its also worth noting that when the sprite appears when I press a, that it will only display up or down and not left or right, no matter which way my character is facing.

Is importing the horizontal melee in to the projectile source not the way to do it now? I've made sure that all the object details and animations are the same as in the video, but still no luck. Any ideas where things might be going wrong for me? I appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.
dale_coop

Re: Melee issues

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:28 am

We need more informations...
Which tutorial are you following? (the 4.0 one or the 4.1 one?)
Which version are you using? (the 4.0 one or the 4.1 one?)
Have you made any modification in the script?
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 am

NOT: for the positions of the object (weapon/projectile) created, you need to set the offset (by selecting the "Object Games" element in the hierarchy and set the X and Y for all the facing directions, for both of the objects.
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
theDarkLordSagan

Post by theDarkLordSagan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have set the offsets, and have been following the 4.0 tutorial, and using 4.1. I haven't made any modifications to the scripts either. I tried watching through the 4.1 tutorial this morning after seeing your post, but it hasn't helped me clear up my confusion. In the 4.1 video he doesn't seem to set his sword as his weapon at all, only his magic, and then the sword works.

Somehow or another, in the game objects screen where you set the offsets, the sprite that it has labeled "Melee" is my projectile. And the sprite that is labeled "Projectile", I cant seem to use. So still when I press the melee button, my character pulls up some sprite of his head. And when I press the projectile button, it shoots out what the melee sprite should be.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Oh, in fact you can't follow the 4.0 tutorial and USE the 4.1... because a LOT of things from the 4.0 are no more in the 4.1 (or working completely differently, needs to be set differently, ...)
If you want to follow the 4.0 tutorial, you should install and use the 4.0.
Then when you will follow the 4.1 tutorial, you should use the 4.1.
-----
theDarkLordSagan

Post by theDarkLordSagan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Do you know where I can find the download for the 4.0? Yeah, I've noticed a lot of version differences between the two. But the 4.0 tutorial seemed to have a lot more information because it was so much longer, and covered a lot more stuff in depth, so I was just trying to work between them and piece together what I could.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Oh, I didn't realize there was not the old versions anymore on the website... (and I don't have the 4.0.6) :(

Is someone still having the zip file of the 4.0.6?
-----
Redherring32

Post by Redherring32 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 pm

dale_coop wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:23 pm
Oh, I didn't realize there was not the old versions anymore on the website... (and I don't have the 4.0.6) :(

Is someone still having the zip file of the 4.0.6?
I do, I'll get it to you guys tonight.
My current WIP game: Shadow: An Adventure In Monochrome, you can also find me over at the Community Discord.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Thank you redherring32
-----
Redherring32

Post by Redherring32 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 am

Sorry I couldn't get it to you sooner.
4.0.6.zip
My current WIP game: Shadow: An Adventure In Monochrome, you can also find me over at the Community Discord.