Adventure module challenges

Here is the link to the wedNESday tutorial for making an Adventure game. Done something cool with it? Modified it in some way? Want to ask the community about creating additional features for it? Post things Adventure Module here!
TheNew8bitHeroes

Adventure module challenges

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:51 pm

For those of you who feel confident with your awesome NESmaking skills and are looking for a challenge to test your brain and bend the module to fit your will....

Here are some logical *next step* challenges. There is no single way to do these things, so if you figure out good tricks, make sure to share a video showing them off, and let the community know how you accomplished them!

1) Boss Room (difficulty : easy)
Make a room that locks you in with monster blocks until you defeat the big bad...you can't proceed until you've been victorious in your battle!

2) Big boss! (difficulty : easy)
Make a big monster using tile graphics with a small interactive area that uses actual objects. Use monster blocks for the tile types to make the whole monster go away when you defeat him!

3) Signs (difficulty : easy)
Very simple. Make a graphic for a sign as a background tile, but use an invisible NPC type monster placed in front of it so a user can "read the sign".

4) Ammo/Magic Meter (difficulty : medium)
You've learned a bit about working with hud variables. Make a new variable for ammo or magic. Make it so that you can only shoot while this meter has a value greater than zero. Additionally, you'll need to find a way to refill this meter, so you'll have to make an ammo powerup as well.

5) New weapons (difficulty : medium-hard)
Make powerups that give your player different weapons. We won't even worry about *changing* the weapons once you get them...think more like Contra, where you get different guns when you pick up a projectile, or Castlevania where you have use of different items after colliding with them.

6) Shops (difficulty : hard)
Make some sort of shop system. Be able to use collected currency to purchase things...keys, health, a weapon...whatever. There is no single way to do this. There are many ways to do this. So this might get interesting to see how you approach it!
jsherman

Re: Adventure module challenges

Post by jsherman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Here's a challenge... How do I tell my wife I want to spend all weekend making a game that accomplishes all this? :D
"Turtle Rescue" updates can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=112
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 pm

jsherman wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Here's a challenge... How do I tell my wife I want to spend all weekend making a game that accomplishes all this? :D
Arggg.... my wife too, she will not be very happy about that.
What is the deadline fro submission? ;)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
dark_crow_66

Post by dark_crow_66 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:33 am

dale_coop wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 pm
jsherman wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Arggg.... my wife too, she will not be very happy about that.
What is the deadline fro submission? ;)
Dale I've already seen you do some of these in your beta games. You got this easy.
briefs

Post by briefs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:09 am

Challenge accepted. This is gonna be fun
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 am

Ahah, all this seem completely doable (already have ideas how to do). As I wrote on the FB post, and I mean it , the most challenging part for me will be to find the time to do that ;)
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:39 am

To quote Marvel's Collector: "One down, five to go!"

Starting off easy. Hopefully I can find some more time later. :)
Attachments
sign.png
sign.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
For more in-depth updates, please follow GossipTurtle on Twitter! https://twitter.com/TurtleRescueNES
TheNew8bitHeroes

Post by TheNew8bitHeroes » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Nice :-)
jsherman

Post by jsherman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm

The boss challenge using monster block times was very easy, especially since I have already built my racoon boss similarly in prior versions.

YOUTUBE: https://youtu.be/5Qqj6JcZ14A

There are a few bugs that are visible if you watch the video. One thing that is not a bug is the raccoon's arms are invulnerable to the hero's shell attack due to solid collision. That's okay since it encourages the player to use the melee weapon instead.

But one thing that I need to figure out is what happens if the player fails to pick up the boss prize, as shown in the video. That could result in a soft lock where the player is unable to proceed. I could leave a key in the triggered state, but then that leaves the potential for unlimited keys.

I also intend the player to start with 3 hearts, but heart pickups can allow more. If you pay attention to the video, that technically happens, but the HUD doesn't show the 4th heart filled. But it is counted when the player gets his first hit.

Thinking more about the first challenge where the player is locked in the boss battle, I can see how that could be done with warp tiles to bring you into a locked room, but I am not sure how to lock a "door" behind a player that simply walks into a room ala Zelda 1 without a solid collision.

I'd love to figure out the magic meter challenge as that was always my intent for my game. My hero flings seashells that he collects, but has limited ammunition, much like Zelda 1 with rupees being both currency and arrow ammunition. I'm confident the answer is out there, but haven't found how to properly tweak that code.
SeaFoodAndButter

Post by SeaFoodAndButter » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:38 am

Well, I'm a rookie, but I think I should qualify for one of these easy challenges.

"3) Signs (difficulty : easy)
Very simple. Make a graphic for a sign as a background tile, but use an invisible NPC type monster placed in front of it so a user can "read the sign".

I did not make a "sign" but I did make a door, which should suffice. I staged an invisible monster in front that will initiate dialogue if you press "b".

Does this at least qualify me for coming through on a basic challenge? Come on, throw me a bone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qLTru2 ... e=youtu.be
Thanks for any help, I'm a rookie at this!