4.0.11 UPDATE!

Here is the link to the wedNESday tutorial for making an Adventure game. Done something cool with it? Modified it in some way? Want to ask the community about creating additional features for it? Post things Adventure Module here!
elisavage

Re: 4.0.11 UPDATE!

Post by elisavage » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:36 am

I am working off the adventure tutorial, not the platform. Sorry if I mis-articulated where I was working from.
Thanks!
jsherman wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 am
You are supposed to build the monsters and objects yourself. Joe had "cheat" imports that he used to save time on the tutorials.

If you are starting with the 4.0.11 platforming tutorial, then you may be missing some fundamental concepts. You can always watch older tutorials to fill in the gaps. While some details may have changes, the concepts remain the same. At the very least, watch the adventure module tutorial, as many of the basics are re-established there. You will have to invest a lot of time with the videos, but pace yourself because there is a lot to learn to succeed! :)
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 am

elisavage wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:34 am
So I went ahead and built up all of the player animations and set the actions. I also applied the code bugfix above. When I export and test I just get a black screen from FCEUX. I made sure to select skip start screen in the project info. Any ideas?
Check your HUD: 2 rows min for the "HUD Area" and the rest for the "Playable Area".
And check your player is "Player" and "PERSISTENT".
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE
elisavage

Post by elisavage » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:21 pm

I thought for sure it would be the playable area didn't completely fill the area the HUD didn't occupy. The HUD is 3 rows. I double checked player and persistent, they are good. Still no dice. I am beginning to suspect it might have to do with my file folder architecture. I dragged the assets for the tutorial into the folder with NESMaker and I have been pretty fast & loose with my naming conventions and file placement. I think I will start fresh and see if I get the same mistakes. It might be tedious, but hey, repetition will make me much faster.
dale_coop wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 am
elisavage wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:34 am
So I went ahead and built up all of the player animations and set the actions. I also applied the code bugfix above. When I export and test I just get a black screen from FCEUX. I made sure to select skip start screen in the project info. Any ideas?
Check your HUD: 2 rows min for the "HUD Area" and the rest for the "Playable Area".
And check your player is "Player" and "PERSISTENT".
adeventureman

Post by adeventureman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:02 pm

hey guys needing some update help im about to change the value maccros now but after that im pretty lost and i want to use the chekpoint function for my adventure game
Attachments
nes maker update help.PNG
nes maker update help.PNG (43.77 KiB) Viewed 212 times
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm

I think you need to import the music and sounds from the betaAssets.
-----
kevinharte

Post by kevinharte » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Has anyone the project available for download?
Electric cat

Post by Electric cat » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:33 am

Hello,

Currently using 4.0.6 and consistanly have been getting a compiler error. I have tried starting on different screens, I have made sure all my animation frames are at one, made sure player pusistant is clicked and I have start skip start screen clicked, i used the music in the file provided. Here is a screen shot of my expert and test , once i press enter then i get the White screen of death ERROR!
Attachments
Screenshot_20181006-155937_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181006-155937_Chrome.jpg (365.61 KiB) Viewed 129 times
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Have you set your HUD? 2 rows min and 2 cols min for the HUD Area and the rest for the Playable Area.
-----
TheGamerInPajamas

Post by TheGamerInPajamas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 am

So I'm trying to use the adventure module. I selected the adventure module at the tileset creation options screen that you see at startup, I'm following the tutorial, I went to test my game and...

...I get this message:

pass 1..
Routines\System\HandleLoadHud.asm(10): Value out of range.
Routines\System\HandleHudData.asm(61): Value out of range.

Mind telling me what's happening here?
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 am

The error message "Value out of range." usually means you have a memory issue (not enough space in your game for all the code).
In your case, it could just be your HUD... currently, if you put too much elements in your HUD, you could have memory issues.
Try removing some elements from the HUD (select an element, clear the "string" value and set the type to "none").
-----