8-Directional Movement Script (and how to install it!)

MistSonata

DanielT1985 said:
Speaking of 8-Direction movement, for some reason, all of the enemy movement choices related to moving up and down cause my enemies to go side by side. Is there a way to fix this?

(Using: Platformula 4.0.11)

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain in detail what's happening? Maybe take a video or something?

DanielT1985

MistSonata said:
DanielT1985 said:
Speaking of 8-Direction movement, for some reason, all of the enemy movement choices related to moving up and down cause my enemies to go side by side. Is there a way to fix this?

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain in detail what's happening? Maybe take a video or something?

Certainly. As you can see in the video, I have the monster set to move UD (Up and Down). However, in the export, the enemy I had it set to do that... only stays in place. Meaning, for some reason, nothing can be able to move up and down when I set it to move Up and Down, 4 directions, or 8 directions. I can still make my character jump, that's in the script, but this Move UD action I give to enemies cause them to stay in place. And the 4-8 direction options makes them stay in place too.

Here's the Move UD option.

HxnvgKv.gif

Here's the Move 4 directions option.

KRxgexN.gif

And here's the Move 8 directions option.

53qg7FY.gif

MistSonata

DanielT1985 said:
MistSonata said:
DanielT1985 said:

Certainly. As you can see in the video, I have the monster set to move UD (Up and Down). However, in the export, the enemy I had it set to do that... only stays in place. Meaning, for some reason, nothing can be able to move up and down when I set it to move Up and Down, 4 directions, or 8 directions. I can still make my character jump, that's in the script, but this Move UD action I give to enemies cause them to stay in place. And the 4-8 direction options makes them stay in place too.

HxnvgKv.gif

KRxgexN.gif

53qg7FY.gif

So, a few things to note... The script I posted in this thread is meant for player movement, not monster movement. If you're trying to put the code into the AI scripts it's not going to do what you want it to do, and it's probably also going to mess some things up.

As for the others... Did you remember to set the enemy's movement speed? And if so, did you remember to save the monster after making changes and exporting again? Are you exporting your code into a rom after changing your monster objects? Because from what it looks like in the gifs you posted it seems like you're trying to change the game properties while the game is running in the background on an emulator and that's not how NESmaker works. It doesn't update in real time. (If that's not the case and you were just demonstrating in the gif, then disregard this)

Other than that, I'm having trouble thinking of what the problem could be.

DanielT1985

MistSonata said:
DanielT1985 said:
MistSonata said:

HxnvgKv.gif

KRxgexN.gif

53qg7FY.gif

So, a few things to note... The script I posted in this thread is meant for player movement, not monster movement. If you're trying to put the code into the AI scripts it's not going to do what you want it to do, and it's probably also going to mess some things up.

As for the others... Did you remember to set the enemy's movement speed? And if so, did you remember to save the monster after making changes and exporting again? Are you exporting your code into a rom after changing your monster objects? Because from what it looks like in the gifs you posted it seems like you're trying to change the game properties while the game is running in the background on an emulator and that's not how NESmaker works. It doesn't update in real time. (If that's not the case and you were just demonstrating in the gif, then disregard this)

Other than that, I'm having trouble thinking of what the problem could be.

1. I changed the settings of the monster, and then exported. All 3 of those gifs were individual tests, not 1 test reused over and over. I've used NESMaker for a few months now, so I know it's not gonna change in real-time, although that would be cool.

2. I did set the movement speed.

AllDarnDavey

kennyp1369 said:
My trouble is that the input linker looks for a .NMinputs file, not a .asm file to import.

Input linker .NMinputs file is for a quick way to package all inputs scripts and assignments together to more easily set them up in another project. To do it manually, you need input the asm file into scripts, and then assign it to buttons using the Input Editor

dale_coop

Staff member
This is a very old script... this might not work (easily) with the new version NESmaker.
You should try searching for 4.5.6 related script (or watching the tutorials) to give you a very easy way to do that in the current version.
Hint: http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5397

Top Bottom