Extra button functions through a modifier button (i.e. SELECT)

Da Slippery Minx

Ok, so, there's only a few buttons on the controller and you've got grand ideas, right? Yeap, me too. So, when developing my own game for the past week I've developed a way (sort of) for getting around this physical limitation; or at least superficially:

Use SELECT as a modifier button where you have to either : 1) hold it down, or, 2) Toggle. From there, all the other 3 buttons have different functions. Plus the function of either HOLDING or TOGGLING means that different command functions can be interpreted/acted out. So, a four button controller can now make up for it's limitations by the aforementioned. You can even assign a time requirement for the action to be trigger. Double tapping is another idea, but depending on what the game is shouldn't be considered (ie button masher games or button mashing people.)

example:

Button A: tap/toggle
Button A: Hold (indefinitely)
Button A: Hold for 1.5 seconds

(toggle-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: tap/toggle
(toggle-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A:Hold (indefinitely)
(toggle-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: Hold for 1.5 seconds

(toggle-[double tap] enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: tap/toggle
(toggle-[double tap]enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A:Hold (indefinitely)
(toggle-[double tap]enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: Hold for 1.5 seconds

(hold-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: tap/toggle
(hold-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A:Hold (indefinitely)
(hold-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: Hold for 1.5 seconds

(hold-timed [1 second]-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: tap/toggle
(hold-timed [1 second]-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A:Hold (indefinitely)
(hold-timed [1 second]-enabled) SELECT MODIFIER-Button A: Hold for 1.5 seconds

OR, maybe there's a way for the NES to interpret Turbo button actions as an entirely different function (as another button,) ie: have it interpret the speed of the turbo function and make it a totally different function that ISN'T turbo.

Granted, this is complicated, buts an idea, (there's no code that I can offer to make this happen,) but it think the concept is within the realm of possibility. but it's food for thought. This will be great for quick swapping to items in a small drop down menu that covers only the HUD and won't obstruct game play, or disrupt it, or swapping between weapon presets on the fly without having to pause the game and see a whole new screen that interrupts the gameplay.

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, it's a good idea...
some of us already use a combinaisons of buttons to do different actions ("B" attack... "UP"+"B" shoot projectiles... etc)

But keep in mind that on a lot of multi-system emulators, the "SELECT" button would also be the "hotkey" button (to get back to the home menu, to load/set save states, rewind,....), like on recalbox, retropie, retroarch, ...
So, it's problematic when you are supposed to do a "SELECT" + "B" to do something in the game... and when playing on those emulators, it just "reset" the game.

dale_coop

Staff member
BUT... using the "SELECT" + "something else" button could also be used to "force" them to play on real hardware ;)

Da Slippery Minx

lol. Welllllll >u>, I AM essentially designing my game for real hardware, 'nothing quite like playing on a real NES really; that and having a physical copy of the game in your library.

I wonder, is there a way to disable that reset feature in the emulators?, or a way to make the reset feature require select to be held for 5-10 seconds? Or maybe hold start+select for a period of time?

dale_coop

Staff member
Yeah, most of those emulator based systems can change the "hotkey" button (chose another one)... but they will not, because they are too much used to that.
I'd suggest just to ignore those, if your target is physical cartridge.

Da Slippery Minx

That's good to hear, and good to know in regards of the populous.I plan to have several formats of the game, but we'll see what happens when that time comes.

dale_coop

Staff member
Also, I really suggest to start with a simple game, to familiarize yourself with the NESmaker, the concepts, the limitations, ...
Flash it on a real cartridge and play on real console :)

Top Bottom