Project Settings: Sprite Flicker

WolfMerrik

I was curious about removing the sprite depth and changing to use flicker as I am making a side-scroller, and having depth really is not needed. These changes are made to HandleUpdateObjects (as far as I can tell, this is all that need to be changed), and the changes are all very well documented in the comments of the code (thank you so much).

What I am most curious about all of this is; could it be made so that I can create my own copy of this, and have it be included in the project settings?

Much like how I handle choosing my scripts for how Bounds are handled, How Player Death is handled, etc, can this be loaded as a script, or does this need to be changed and then revised for future projects that don't want to use this rendering order? Having the ability to make multiple scripts for how Objects are rendered/updated would be pretty great, so if this is NOT possible, I would like to know to add it as a suggestion.

Again, thank you so much for having the code for this be so well commented, I really appreciate that, especially having so little experience at even looking at ASM.

Thanks,

Wolf

dale_coop

Staff member
You mean you want to make a platformer ?
If so, you don't need to modify the HandleUpdateObjects scripts... just assign the right scripts the Projects Settings > Scripts Settings to change the physics and collisions (you need to change the three first lines to use the "xxx_platform_simple.asm" scripts). And that's 'it.
The rest should work as it (you will not need to assign your Up and Down input scripts. Everything else is same, and will work).

If you want some days (not next wedNESday, but maybe the next one), we will have the Platform Module with a NESMaker update.

WolfMerrik

Well, yes, I am making a platformer, but that is not what this is about. To clarify:

If we are looking at Project > Project Settings > Script Settings > We can see the various scripts we can import to make changes to our games behaviour. I am making a change to the HandleUpdateObjects and was wondering if there was a way to create a script define for this, and if so, how to do it. I know that I can simply edit the file that the method is in, however, I would like to have this be an importable script, much like how Tile Collision is handled. Especially since (in this case, flicker) the way that I am rendering/handling objects may vary from project to project.

dale_coop

Staff member
Ok, understand. I don't know what would be the best strategy.
Currently the include for HandleUpdateObjects.asm is made in includeSystemFunctions.asm, you could replace this include with yours.
But each time NESMaker updates, you will need to check and change again.

WolfMerrik

Okay, so there is not a way to have this be a per project based setting, that was really all I was curious about. Presently I had just backed up the other and swapped it, I will add this as a suggestion then.

I really did not want to suggest a feature that already existed and just did not understand how to set it up.

Thanks!

Top Bottom