Best source for learning about asm?

Tengen Games North

Re: Best source for learning about asm?

Post by Tengen Games North » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pm

I have been using this book and making a video series on it.... https://archive.org/details/6502_Assemb ... rogramming
but it seems there are plenty of useful sites. I do like that 6502asm.com and it looks like Frankengraphics will be teaching me lots.
As much as I learn I'm still a simple idea and graphic guy (kind of music), even with NESmaker and some ASM knowledge I still expect I will need a more technical mind to help smooth out the finished game.
EyE6SoLoMoN

Post by EyE6SoLoMoN » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 pm

There's a lesson plan, called "Nerdy Nights", that can be found online, and completely free. Many homebrew developers have learned from those lesson plans. It's by Brian Parker; a.k.a. BunnyBoy, the developer of the AVS. It's very helpful and could get you started.
digit2600

Post by digit2600 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 pm

I found a whole audio book on YouTube this morning, been listening to it on and off all day. Definitely worth checking out.

For some reason, my phone won't let me copy and paste. Go on you tube and search: NuvYou 6502 programming. There's a whole 15 chapters.
Mihoshi20

Post by Mihoshi20 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:07 am

You'll probably pickup 6502 assembly pretty quickly or at least the basic concepts of registers and jumping around in the code. If you have the chance, studying 6502 assembly along with playing human resource machine to grasp some concepts. So much so that I wish you could rename the commands to match their asm ones.

The problem you'll probably struggle with the most is the NES hardware, least I sure did. Understanding all the addresses and registries, what they do, what you need to write/read into them, when, and why was the biggest frustrations as most of the tutorials were outdated, not very detailed or consistent and the rest was all technobabble. Understanding the most common assemblers and their differences from each other took a while.

NESMaker even in it's current beta form takes so much mystery and frustrations out of it.