NESmaker 4.5 - Adventure Game Basics - Part 11: Sprite Huds and jumpthrough platforms

dale_coop

NESmaker 4.5 - Adventure Game Basics - Part 11: Sprite Huds and jumpthrough platforms

Post by dale_coop » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:58 am

Joe Granato:
Some patches, Sprite Huds, and Jumpthrough Platforms:

Here's the new tutorial and instructions (with the link the "Support Files" zip):
https://www.thenew8bitheroes.com/post/adventure-game-basics-part-11-sprite-huds-and-jumpthrough-platforms

The video:

https://vimeo.com/432579544/67c856e297
-----
Sorry about my poor english
All I need: A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
My son's game: KUBO 3
Rob Burrito

Re: NESmaker 4.5 - Adventure Game Basics - Part 11: Sprite Huds and jumpthrough platforms

Post by Rob Burrito » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm

to make your projectiles count down as they do in the tutorial, after adding the line of script to add ammo to the sprite hud you have to go your project hierarchy Scripts\Input scripts\Base4_5\Game\Mod_2WayPlatformer\Inputs\shootProjectile_scrolling and un-comment lines 5,6,7,8,10 for it to work as shown.

i'm also having a strange bug where if i run into the left side of my crab the game just freezes, hitting it from any other angle does what it should decreasing lives or destroying the monster from above.

also something messed with edge bounds. if you remove the solid sky blocks you can just walk left off the opening screen now, and after scrolling to the right if you walk back to the left edge you will warp to a different screen instead of stop.
dale_coop

Re: NESmaker 4.5 - Adventure Game Basics - Part 11: Sprite Huds and jumpthrough platforms

Post by dale_coop » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Me too I have several issues with collisions and deaths...
-----
My games: PRESS START GAME / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE / UNDERGROUND ADVENTURE (Arcade version - Byte-Off-2019)
Rob Burrito

Post by Rob Burrito » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm

the player object edge reaction changing to null (i had set it there but must have closed the box via the windows 'x' rather than hit the "close" button) it didn't save the edge reaction setting till i went back and changed the player\object details\actions\edge reactions\null and closed the menu correctly. still having some other edge related issues, but hopefully they're getting figured out as we go.
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

YEah... about bugs, I really don't bother or... because there are several of them. By the end, of the Summer Camp, all those small issues should have been fixed.
In the mean time, you can report your issues to Joe on the FB group, he needs those feedbacks to make the patches on the next tutorials.
It's just for fun, modifying the modules, scripts... yeah, it's buggy, it's not perfect, it's the idea of that camp.
-----
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:17 pm

Something that might help with the weird collisions with monsters (it helped for me) is adding:

Code: Select all

LDA #$00
		STA Object_v_speed_lo,x
		STA Object_v_speed_hi,x
before the line

Code: Select all

doneWithGravity:
In the Handle Physics script
-----
dale_coop

Post by dale_coop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:26 pm

I think the patch from the Part 11, fixes those issues.
-----