How to Flash your Game when "Make Cart" Doesn't Work [4.5.6]

crazygrouptrio

How to Flash your Game when "Make Cart" Doesn't Work [4.5.6]

Post by crazygrouptrio » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 pm

I've had to help a few others who have encountered this same problem I have, so maybe this will help someone here. So if your problem is Make Cart isn't working, this will get you flashing your game on a cartridge in no time!
When you're ready to flash your game, (and assuming you have properly installed your drivers and your flasher is ready to go as well) just hit the Make Cart button like normal. It may seem like it did nothing but this puts the rom in the flasher folder even though it isn't flashing like it should. Now go into your NESmaker folder, then Flasher\INL-retro-progdump_map30\host. And in the host folder run flashcart.bat. SPECIFICALLY the one inside the HOST folder. The other flashcart.bat's will not work.
That should flash the rom to a cartridge like normal. Maybe make a shortcut to it to make it easier. While this doesn't fix the problem, it will get your game flashed and ready to go on your NES. ;)
Last edited by crazygrouptrio on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Games I've Made/Am Making:
Shera & The 40 Thieves
Mawthorne: Ancient Quest
Afterlight
Raid or Die!
PasseGaming

Re: How to Flash your Game when "Make Cart" Doesn't Work [4.5.6]

Post by PasseGaming » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm

thanks for that, haven't tried flashing a cart yet but this will save me from going into a panic!
Remember; wherever you go, there you are. :mrgreen:

My Projects: Spirit Impel
PasseGaming

Post by PasseGaming » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:31 pm

What do you know, it didn't work right. I'm glad this fix did the job though.
Remember; wherever you go, there you are. :mrgreen:

My Projects: Spirit Impel
Jonny

Post by Jonny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Does anyone have any experience with just flashing a chip i.e not on the board though a eprom pin programmer type device rather than with a cart flasher ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Game: BAD HARE DAY
Youtube: JONNY'S YOUTUBE
Twitter: JONNY'S TWITTER
axbakk

Post by axbakk » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:38 pm

Jonny wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pm
Does anyone have any experience with just flashing a chip i.e not on the board though a eprom pin programmer type device rather than with a cart flasher ?
You mean program an eprom with the game? Yes if thats the question. 😊
Noobing around NESmaker just for fun! Totally noob in gamemaking and have no experience in programming! But I love retrogames! :D
Jonny

Post by Jonny » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:40 pm

Yeah, Im just starting to learn about the different microchips on the boards, that some are logic chips, then there's a chip thats only really needed when flashing and with the ability to flash the lockout chip too I just got thinking of doing somthing custom as an option for my game when its done.

I was wondering if it would be possible to design a simplified PCB for a specific game and do away with quite a bit of circuit (mirroring options etc) by flashing the chip off the board and not needing the logic chip that takes care of flashing. I've done them for arduino projects but not for anything like NES carts.

Basically, I just wondered if anyone had gone down the road of producing their own game specific UNROM board as an alternative to pre-made universal ones.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Game: BAD HARE DAY
Youtube: JONNY'S YOUTUBE
Twitter: JONNY'S TWITTER